Test - Help

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

youngest

Test - Help

Post by youngest »

Hi All

I am beginning to think about 11+ for ds2 in 2010 - I know - more than a year away but don't think he can cram the week before like ds1 did with the NFER paper!!

Regarding the "new" 11+ test I have the following information from the Warwickshire LA Website:
Each test will be of 45 minutes duration:
Paper 1 will include:
20 minutes verbal reasoning
10 minutes short maths questions
15 minutes comprehension
Paper 2 will include:
15 minutes longer maths questions
10 minutes data processing questions
10 minutes non verbal reasoning
10 minutes missing words in paragraph test (‘clozed test’)

Please can you tell me if the answers are multiple choice or if the child has to think of their own answer?
If there is a mixture - which was which style?

I love verbal reasoning, but see from some posts here that last year's test was not the usual question types - so which question types to get my youngest to practice? - which books will be helpful?

Is there any practice material for the data processing and cloze test?

Oh and to all who have appeals coming up in the next few weeks - all the best!

Thanks
K

(youngest - refers to the son the 11+ is relevant to - not any competition I want to start about parents' age!! I know names start with a capital letter - shame about my typing skills and now I'm stuck without my capital letter!!)
newdawn

Post by newdawn »

Good question.

Hope you have some luck with the replies, you get the impression that this little clique won't answer anything unless the regulars such as Charlotte 67 and Ed's Mum start the thread.

Forum or a social chat?
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

Ouch! I think that's a little harsh!

It may have more to do with the fact that there are relatively few Warwickshire people about - and many of us 'lurkers' have youngsters who didn't do the exams this year.

Sorry I can't help, we only went through the NFER year of tests.
newdawn

Post by newdawn »

May sound harsh but probably true. Analyse the previous threads

It seems to be based more on who asks/answers the question rather the the inherent merit of the question itself.
fed up

Post by fed up »

I can see that no one answered your last question in April, which is a shame because I could do with knowing the answer to that one.

Now that the dust has settled with regards to who can actually sit the exam has anybody any thoughts about what difference the new format of the exam had on the profile of the successful children. Is it really "tutor-proof"? Did the bright kids who a had little formal tutoring pass and those who received alot of tutoring suffer as a result?

From what I understand that is the educational zenith that CEM want with regard to selection tests.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Welcome Youngest! Actually I tried to reply at least 3 times last night but had some strange things happening with my text each time I tried to post my message. I even made a stupid quip about giving you the capital letter for your name that you wanted!

The reply was more of a welcome than anything else though...neither myself nor Charlotte have children who sat the new style test, we are as much in the dark as you are I am afraid.

When I attempted to post yesterday my suggestion (along with their phone numbers) was that you contact Warks LEA about whether the format is multiple choice or not. Let me know if you would like the telephone numbers.

Please do not be put off by the fact that a 'clique' has been mentioned. That is far from the case, although it is fair to say that there are not many who post on the Warks forum and we are, on the whole, a friendly bunch.

If you manage to find anything more concrete out about the tests, please do post your findings. Perhaps newdawn has the answers! There has been some info posted about the type of test. Off the top of my head, I think it was on the Birmingham section and may have been...WP??? Will check later and amend if necessary. KenR has also posted extremely useful info about the style of test that we should expect, although it is known to be tutor proof.

Again, welcome to the forum...the more the merrier (especially if you ARE merry!!) :mrgreen:
newdawn

Post by newdawn »

Dear Ed's Mum

We are honoured indeed that you have responded. Sadly I have not got the answers, that is why the question was asked by both me and youngest.

Will somebody simply answer the question from this friendly, but not a clique, group!

That will be the proof of the pudding.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Let's hope that Sassie's Dad visits soon...he will have some answers as his daughter sat the new-style test.

If it's chocolate pudding, I'll eat it!
:wink:
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

You know- I was going to suggest Sassie's Dad 8)
newdawn

Post by newdawn »

Enjoy the pudding!!

Come in Sassie's dad, we are all waiting
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now