Non-Verbal Resource Help

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

TraineeDad

Non-Verbal Resource Help

Post by TraineeDad »

I've been reading the forum and judging by peoples reponses have short listed the following books/tests for NVR practise and was hoping if someone can confirm the selection.

I've not bothered with non-verbal previously as my older son just seemed naturally good at it - doesn't get it from me :)

I've been using the normal Bond NVR books and my younger son seems to struggle a bit.

Bond 10 Minute Tests 10 - 11 years Non-verbal Reasoning
Bond Fourth Papers in Non-verbal Reasoning: 10-11 Years
11+ Non-verbal Reasoning: Including Multiple Choice Test Technique: Workbook Bk. 1
Bond 11+ Test Papers in Non-verbal Reasoning "Rocket picture on the front": Multiple Choice [or should I get Standard?]
NFER tests

Seems a bit overkill to me so happy to get rid of a few ...

Oh - I am in the Birmingham area so will be applying to King Edwards Grammar Schools as well as Stratford and also King Edwards Edgbaston.

Thanks

Traineedad
Regards

TraineeDad
fm

Post by fm »

While I do the Bond Assessment books to teach technique and practice, I am not sure I would agree with doing either Bond Tests (as opposed to the books) or NFER unless you are planning to sit the Sutton exams (which are NFER based). I don't think they will do any harm but I am not sure if they will help either as the University of Durham test has, so far, not really resembled anything in these test packs.

I would try to source other types and 'spring' them on your son because he will most likely be confronted by something he has never seen before. Learning to cope with this may overcome, in part, a lack of natural ability.

For the last 2 years, the non-verbal has involved rotating 3D boxes and visualising a 2d view after rotation as well as some matrices (only not just 4 square ones); I am afraid only my naturals seem to fair well with the 3D which means the exam is doing its job which probably means they'll keep this kind of thing in. Previously there have been analogies and most alike but using insects rather than shapes; my confident ones (even the ones who weren't especially good) realised they could apply the same skills and managed every good scores in these.
TraineeDad

Post by TraineeDad »

Thanks for your reply fm

ok, I'll skip the 10 minutes tests but do you have any idea where I can get anything with the 3D boxes and matrices or a variety of different types?

Regards

Traineedad
Regards

TraineeDad
fm

Post by fm »

I am afraid not. The whole idea is that the University of Durham writes original papers which aren't commercially available.

You will, however, find some variety in Learning Together books as well as the Secondary Selection Profile and the Alpha series, although most of the papers are in the usual NFER style.
There are some rotating cubes in some of these, although not of the type that have featured in the last 2 years.

With the ones who aren't naturals, I do my best to give them tools to cope but most possibly end up with the score they would have had without much practice. I say possibly because I don't see many scores (most of my pupils gain entry) but the ones I do see are usually ones who aren't naturally good at this and haven't made enough in maths and English to compensate for a low non-verbal score. Repetitive practice, however, pays dividends for the Sutton (and any other NFER) test.

So, by all means practice some, but if he does turn out to be weak in this area, I would put more time into boosting the maths and English rather than invest too heavily in an area which may not pay dividends.
TraineeDad

Post by TraineeDad »

Thanks fm.

From what you've said I think I'm going to try a few of these out and hopefully that will have enough variety to give him confidence in the real thing.

Regards

TraineeDad
Regards

TraineeDad
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now