Year 4 SAT's results. Good enough for Grammar?

Advice on Special Needs and the 11 Plus Exams

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
jenhug

Year 4 SAT's results. Good enough for Grammar?

Post by jenhug »

My daughter (9) has Aspergers syndrome and Irlen syndrome. All year her SENco has suggested she will acheive Grammar School, she is currently in year 4. her results for this year are as follows.

writing 2a
reading comprehension 3b
english 2a

maths 3c

science (teacher assessment) 3

our local grammar would be perfect for her in the fact its incredibly rigid rules and small numbers, compared to our local all girls comp, which has almost triple the numbers and a severe lack of discipline!

I have arranged 12 30 minute private tutoring sessions through the holidays to give her a boost.

Looking at these results, do you think she has a hope of making grammar? She did have the year from **** in year 3 thanks to the teacher from ****, so refused to work last year, so this year really she has been playing catch up.,

Any advice welcome!
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

jenhug, can't comment on the special needs but the gradings at the moment, for yr4, are below average to average.

However, have you a child who is young for the year group or a late developer?

Another thing to remember is that these grades are a reflection of the teaching and not necessarily of the child. My daughter had poor grades last year, this year I had had enough of the the poor school standards and got a tutor on board. It's cosing me a small fortune but the grades have gone from below average to well above average in 6 months!
jenhug

Post by jenhug »

she is a feb child, so middle i guess.
she had an awful time last year (wasnt allowed to answer questions in class as she takes a while to say what she is trying to say- this is just the tip of the iceberg!) so this year they have basically been putting right what she didnt acheive last year. I am hoping the 12 booster lessons in the holiday will put her on a good start for year 5, and will continue with booster lessons as needed I guess.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Jenhug, my daughter is doing a summer school too. She has made SO MUCH progress over the past 6 months that we will not let this slip. We will be focusing on Maths, teaching to level 4. Yet, had I not done something about it, my daughter would still be swtching off through sheer boredom, not doing any schoolwork and failing to get passed level 2. Now I have a child who loves maths and finds it interesting.
andyb

Post by andyb »

Just been reading through these posts and thought I would add my two-pen'orth.

I also have a February child who scored grade 3 in all subjects - but he is only in Year 2 so I would agree with Tracy that your daughter's results are below average for a child at the end of Year 4. However, in view of the fact that she effectively missed a years education the booster lessons may well bring her up to scratch. The fact that her SENCo believes she has grammar potential is encouraging.

If she has a Statement does she still need to qualify for the grammar or could it be named as the most appropriate school for her needs?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

she would still have to qualify before being given a grammar place.
jenhug

Post by jenhug »

school are still being a pain, they are expecting low level 3's for SATs for her this year, although they did say if she had help she would achieve 3As. They will not give her any help to record her work. Despite constant requests. She wants to go to a school where Science and History are important. Her reading age is 13.9 years.

Its a very frustrating time for us!
mebaasmum

Post by mebaasmum »

DS2 visually impaired but no statement was 4b maths, 4c reading and 2a writing at the end of year 4 reading age 11. 11 plus ridiculous or plausible. He wants to try
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now