Meningitis

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Ed's mum

Meningitis

Post by Ed's mum »

Hi guys, seeking advice again if you could be so kind...

If YOU had just received a 'phone call from your child's school about a case of 'probable' meningitis within a different year group, would you still send your child into school?

All I can really think about is the poor girl who is in hospital, but I want to try to make the right decision too.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Herman, any words of wisdom?
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Don't know much about meningitis but with most of these illnesses they are most contagious when the child is feeling quite well, so it may not make any difference now to take DC out of school. From a preventative point of view I would dose DC up on high amounts of vit C and multi-vitamins that boost the immune system. Its not a guarantee but better than doing nothing.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Thanks for the reply Tipsy!

I have also just spoken to someone else who is 'in the know' and been advised that the risk is so small. I think I am satisfied that I can send my child to school without worrying (much!)
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

I wouldn't worry if the school is well away from lakes or stagnant water, otherwise I'd keep DC away for at least a week and await developments!! It's a hugely serious disease possibly, so a few weeks off school really won't be significant.
Best wishes!
Loopy
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Forgive my ignorance Loopy but what has stagnant water and lakes got to do with meningitis? I'm asking a genuine question! :oops:
keane34

Post by keane34 »

Might be worth putting a call in to your GP and get her/his advice. Interested to know what the stagnant water link is too!
Ambridge

Post by Ambridge »

My DS contracted meningitis (meningococcal septicaemia Type B) 11 years ago and passed it on to his teenage (at the time) big sister and because he had been ill for a number of days and had mixed closely (same room, hugs good bye etc) it was thought he could have potentially passed it on to many others.

DS was extremely ill and on a life support machine for many weeks, big DD was taken to hospital a short time after his diagnosis and because they knew what she probably had, although she was seriously ill, her version of the meningitis was treated quickly and within a couple of weeks she was out of hospital and recouperating at home.

Fortunately, DS surprised everyone by pulling through it and 11 years on has only some leg scars (from the septicaemia) to show from those dark days - a small price to pay.

I know things have moved on in the last 11 years (thank goodness) but, as a parent I would be aware of anyone in my vicinity who has it.

Those who have had direct contact with the girl should be cautious especially if they have passed any bodily fluids (cough, cold, shared lollipops/sweets etc) but assuming you have not been this close, I would just observe for any symptons (it would be very unlikely for your child to catch it) and also find out what sort of meningitis the girl in question has contacted and in turn, how she caught it.

As for the contact with lakes and water, that is all new to me and I know that those who are unfortunate enough to catch it, need a lot more than Vitamin C to recover.

I would be cautious for a few weeks and keep in touch with those close to the source to see if it has been passed on, not everyone is capable of getting it thank goodness and there will probably not be a vaccine for those that contract Type B as there are so many different strains of it although they are trying hard to get close.

This is a great link which fills in the gaps and keeps you all up to date www.meningitis.org

Ambridge x
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Thank you Ambridge for sharing that information. Crikey, I cannot even begin to imagine what you all must have gone through - what dark times indeed.

I'm touched that you replied in such detail. Thank you. I'm so pleased that the outcome for your children was a good one.
:mrgreen:
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

I think LoopyLou has possibly mixed up Meningitis with Malaria - stagnant water is where the mosquitos for malaria come from.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

PS: Ed's mum - I'm sure everything will be alright in the end, you are right to ask questions and check things out. Unfortunately I don't know enough about it to advise you.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now