Langley Grammar School info needed

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

IncaGold

Langley Grammar School info needed

Post by IncaGold »

Hi,

My son is in Year 5 and Langley Grammar is one of the schools I'm considering for him. Can anyone give me any inside information about the school? How is bullying dealt with? Do children mix well? What is the reward system like? Are rules enforced?

My son is a nerd (his words) and proud to be so, will he fit in and find many like minded boys? I want him to have lots of friends.

Any info gratefully received. :)
chad

Post by chad »

Sorry.... I havent got any inside knowledge of Langley Grammer... it is said to be an excellent school.
My son has found (Slough Grammer) that being different.... or slightly off the wall.....is not such an issue at his school, although it was at primary.
There are many different personalities and it is not seen as 'uncool' to be clever... more something to aspire to. There are many so called 'nerds' in his school so they are not seen as so different.
partygirl

Post by partygirl »

Do bear in mind that the Head will be leaving at the end of the school year to join Tiffin.
IncaGold

Post by IncaGold »

Hi,

Thanks for your replies. Chad my son doesn't have many friends in primary, so I hope he does find some like minded friends.

Partygirl, there does seem to be much movement of Head teachers at the moment. Isn't Herschel's Head going too? Where's the Head of Tiffin going? Perhaps they're all swapping schools...??
partygirl

Post by partygirl »

The head of Tiffin went a few months ago to a school in Folkstone. He left under a cloud after leaving Tiffin in financial difficulty and the report released at Easter was pretty damming regarding his actions at Tiffin. The head of Tiffin Girls has temporary headship of the boys school too until September.

On a more positive note, make sure you visit as many schools as possible during the open days/evening. Don't go on what people say, make sure you visit schools that you are seriously considering. You really get a feel for a school once you visit and you will make up your mind and even rule some schools out after the visits.

Don't worry too much about whether your DS has friends going to the same school, he'll make new friends once he is there. I was in the same position as you a few years ago and this year. My DS was the only pupil in his school going to Tiffin. It turns out that the other 29 pupils in his class in year 7 were from 29 different primary schools so they were all in the same boat so they had to make the effort to make friends. My DD is the only pupil in her school going to Slough GS in September. I was informed at the new parents evening that the new year 7 pupils will come from 90 different primary schools so I am convinced she will have no trouble making new friends.
IncaGold

Post by IncaGold »

I think most of the children in my son's year will be split between two local comps. I know of only one other boy that will be trying for Langley. But I am looking forward to him making new friends at a new school and so is he.

PG Will you try and move your son to SG? Will it be difficult with your children going to schools so far away from each other?

Is it true that LG don't take children in Y8 onwards if they didn't pass the 11+? Ie they can't take the test again? Do you think this could change with a new Head?
partygirl

Post by partygirl »

If your child fails the 11+ that is it. There will be no chance to retake and I don't expect this to change once the new head comes to LG.

My DS is in the L6 at Tiffin so only has one year left before going off to Uni.
IncaGold

Post by IncaGold »

Thanks for the info :)

I hope my son passes!
I have a daughter in Y8 at a local comp, I'm wondering how difficult it will be juggling two schools. She didn't pass her 11+ even though she got three 5's in her SATs :(
greatmum

Post by greatmum »

Hi All,
My older daughter goes to our local comp and middle one to LG. My older didn't prepare for 11+. My middle one was in a very small group of friends and they all 3 went to different schools. She settled very quickly in LG. I had my fears but she loves it. She has so much confidence. Behaviour in school is better than local comp. there are troublemakers in class but they are in a very small number so it doesn't affect the class that much. being a nerd is good as there is so much competition to get merits and good comments from teachers. Also they are reviewing school uniforms as my daughter hates wearing skirts!!!!!!!!!!!! All n all I have very positive experience with LG and I hope it stays that way after the Head leaves.
IncaGold

Post by IncaGold »

HI Greatmum,

Glad to hear your DD has settled in well. Can you tell me anything about the extra-curriculum activities at LG, what sort of clubs do they have at lunch-times and after school?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now