De Montfort Uni

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
All Too Much

De Montfort Uni

Post by All Too Much »

Anyone out there know anything about this uni? My DD has put it as first choice on her UCAS form after visiting a few. As parents we were impressed by the whole package offered particularly for her studies. But we know nothing really - good or bad - about it.

Thanks.
ATM
All Too Much
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

My brother-in-law sat a music technology degree there about 5 years ago. He said it is like a glorified polytechnic but that may be a good thing if that is what DD wants. I would try hard to look beyond all the packaging and do research into its ratings. I got a place at a rubbish uni and it was all glitz to draw us in. That said de Montfort may well be wonderful as the only knowledge I have is from BIN.
solimum

Post by solimum »

DMU has a good reputation as one of the better of the last batch of new unis - there are some subjects (possibly the more vocational?) it does particularly well in, but others where there are probably better options - it does rather depend on the subject and on your DD's expected grades and aspirations. If she is predicted AAA she could no doubt aim higher - but if DMU is the only place where she can study "Integrated electronic basket-weaving" and she is highly committed to it, she will be more likely to make the best use of what's on offer. I know of one "friend of a friend" studying midwifery there, and I've heard of some quite good design-type courses, but have no other personal experience. Several of the national papers do quite detailed league tables eg

http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_gug ... yguide.php

where you can sort on a number of factors, including student satisfaction, drop-out rates, graduate employment and entry standards, as well as look at separate tables for different subjects, but ideally you should find someone recruiting graduates into the particular area she's interested in and ask "how highly would you rate a degree from DMU compared to.." one of her other choices.

Is this for Sep 2009 entry or have you got another year to investigate?
All Too Much

Post by All Too Much »

Thank you both for your responses. Yes, it is for this year.

She wants to study Speech and Language Therapy (not exactly rocket science I know, but she still needs 3 Bs this year). Neurology is a major part of the first 2 years, so biology is needed. We looked at other unis but this one seemed to offer a tight ship where the course was concerned, including the hospital/clinical placements. They also have a clever trick of completing in 3.5 years as opposed to 4 years like other unis and therefore come out in March and have first pick of the jobs (in the past anyway!).

When she shadowed some therapists in recent years, they had all studied at DMU (which is where she got the idea from) and all loved it there. I suppose the fact that it is ex-polytechnic (albeit nearly 20 years ago) still makes me doubt it. Perhaps after her years at independent and then grammar school, the feel of an ex-poly attracted her.

We shall have to wait and see. Also her two closest friends are going very different routes - one has a firm offer to Oxford and the other is studying medicine at Imperial. Wonder if they actually will keep in contact ?!!

ATM
All Too Much
solimum

Post by solimum »

I think you've answered most of my points - it's a well-regarded vocational course, with quite high entrance requirements, and good links with employers, you have met some graduates who have found jobs, she's keen on the course ... Yes it will be a very different experience from her friends in Oxford/ Imperial etc but Leicester is a lively student city (my eldest DS is at the other university and I think there is a degree of social mixing) and it sounds like she has an interesting career to look forward to - better that than 3 years doing a vaguely academic subject in which she has little interest elsewhere and then having to find the vocational training afterwards- good luck for the exams!

PS the rocket science in Leicester is also good - visit the Space Centre when you've got her safely installed in September.....
All Too Much

Post by All Too Much »

Thank you for your kind words Solimum.

If everyone in the West Midlands is as nice as you; she'll have a great time.

ATM
All Too Much
solimum

Post by solimum »

Leicester is in the East Midlands!!! .. though less than an hour away, which is quite a good distance for uni I've found

- my in-laws have lived there for years, and my son is still enjoying himself hugely (and working hard eventually!)
All Too Much

Post by All Too Much »

Oops sorry, not being brought up in the UK (and now living in South Bucks) my national geography is dreadful ! Our journey will be a good 2 hours but I think she will be taking the train a bit - that's if she ever wants to come home again!

ATM
All Too Much
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

speech and language therapists are thin on the ground and it is a fascinating area to study.

As it is a vocational course it may be that it is well respected in the profession. When I took my PGCE in the early 90's there were 2 universities running a primary years course. One 'established' uni and the other an ex- polytechnic, previouslyteacher training college. All the schools that I went to for Teaching Practice said that they felt the students from the ex college were far better equipped to actually DO the job and that the course offered at the traditional uni was not as rigorous.
All Too Much

Post by All Too Much »

Thanks for that Yoyo123, you paint a very positive picture.

Yes it is vocational. My DD has a passion for it. It all stemmed from when she started helping out with the disabled a few years back and met a speech therapist in one of her early placements. She spends all her spare time during hols/weekends with disabled and nothing phases her. Only reason I mention this is that I know when she says she wants to do something, she means it and I hope that will stand her in good stead doing this course.

My younger DSs are completely different and have absolutely no idea what to do with their lives, but I am afraid to say, financial gain may be more important to them that job satisfaction!

ATM
All Too Much
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now