Newstead Wood school for Girls

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
West Kent

Post by West Kent »

Can anyone please tell me the sort of scores previously required to get into Newstead. My daughter just sat the tests last week and she seems pretty confident she did well. If she liked the paper I am sure a significant number of girls would have too and hence the cut off mark would be pretty high. All comments welcome.
Tired Mum

Newstead Wood School For Girls

Post by Tired Mum »

My daughter's results came today 219. She is gutted. I have tried all I can to console her (the "your mark would have got you a place in 3 of the last 4 years does not help). Her non-verbal reasoning score is much lower than I expected and is a clear 15% less than she normally averages. Is there any chance of a remark? She thought that the test was easy on the day and while I am confident that she has what it takes to attend a super selective school I suppose I need to know if I'm just a deluded loving mother - and should just give up now.
West Kent

Post by West Kent »

I feel for you Tired Mum. My Daughters score was 234 but Newstead Wood was placed as her 2nd choice. Don't give up all is not lost there is a chance you daughter could still get in.

Post by Guest »

were you given a ranking, or just standardised scores with no idea where it positions you in the pecking order?
Tired Mum

Newstead Wood School for Girls

Post by Tired Mum »

Thanks for replies. We were not given a ranking just the score and the ranges over the last 4 years. Whilst I did give a cheer when I read the comment from West Kent Mum (I meanly thought 1 more place for my one) I have come to my senses and wish you all the best - can you appeal up?
West Kent

Re: Newstead Wood School for Girls

Post by West Kent »

Tired Mum wrote:Thanks for replies. We were not given a ranking just the score and the ranges over the last 4 years. Whilst I did give a cheer when I read the comment from West Kent Mum (I meanly thought 1 more place for my one) I have come to my senses and wish you all the best - can you appeal up?
That is interesting I did not realise it was possible to appeal upwards. My daughter is not really bothered though. Her first choice was TOGS. It just means that the pressure is slighly less for her to perform well. And if ahe doesn't then Newstead is hardly a bad 2nd choice.
depressed

Re: Newstead Wood School for Girls

Post by depressed »

My daughter also sat the test and achieved 233 - but we put the school down as 5th choice after being told it was a really tough exam. Does anyone know if we have the right of appeal if my daughter does not do quite as well in the other selective tests she has sat?

BTW - I have to say that this website is absolutely wonderful! My daughter has benefitted from many of the stories on these forums. Big big thanks.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hello depressed and all

I am out of familiar territory, as I live in Bucks and only know the system there. However, I chanced to scroll down and couldn't help but notice a post by someone called "depressed", and I just had to respond.

I am very sorry for you and for Tired Mum (I do empathise with that User Name as well!). I cannot advise you on the appeals system in Kent, although I am sure that one exists. For general appeals advice, please do look at the Appeals thread on the main forum, espeically the advice from Etienne. Do post there for any general advice that you need on the content of appeals.

Good luck - and Happy Christmas from Bucks!

Sally-Anne