APPEAL IN SLOUGH

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

blessing

APPEAL IN SLOUGH

Post by blessing »

I have just got our 11+ test result for sSlough. My daughter missed by 4 points. Has anyone got any advice and tips on appeal procedure for Slough and chances of success with 107 scores.
Boanerges

11 plus appeals

Post by Boanerges »

Appeals panels consider each case on its own merits and so there is no clear way of knowing what will happen. However, your first job is to get the support of your child's current school before you write to the Appeals panel, saying you will appeal. The next step is to ensure that you write to the Appeals Panel by the stated deadline (18th December for Slough Grammar Schools).
In the meantime you should martial as much evidence as possible about the academic proficiency of your child, and if the Junior school has conducted "mock" tests you should get copies of these so that they can be taken into consideration. You should also search very carefully for any reasons that might have contributed to your child dropping the few marks: did the school change teachers? Did you move house? Was there anything disruptive in the child's environment that might have affected performance on the day. If there was any medical reason for underperformance you should aim to get a doctor's note so that you have clear evidence.
When the appeals panel meets, go with everything you can muster in the way of evidence.
samonly

appeals first step

Post by samonly »

child has just failed eleven plus by one point. he is from out of county so sat the test at the school in question, however became so distressed during the second of the three tests in question that he was removed from the exam room and moved to a separate room. He subsequently was so flustered that he guessed 4 and left 6 or so questions unanswered. This was recorded by the invigilating teacher. Have spoken to his class and head teacher, and both are very very supportive that I appeal but is it enough to say that his test results do not reflect his genuine ability? Many people get nervous as has been explained elsewhere on the appeals q&A. Don't want to write a wishy washy "my johnny is really very bright" letter but don't know what else to say. Has anybody got any advice? Does anybody agree with my husband's belief that those who go to pieces in exams, won't enjoy grammar schools anyway?
Newbie but stressed

Post by Newbie but stressed »

>>>>Does anybody agree with my husband's belief that those who go to pieces in exams, won't enjoy grammar schools anyway?

No I don't believe this however it could be tougher , My daughter suffers from exam nerves when put under pressure. This has been noted by her school teachers and has gone on for years.

Unfortunatly we think nerves may have got the better of her during the recent 11+ first test which we receive results in march.

She still is in the top three pupils of her year and her reports have been excellent, But exams are a problem..

hopefully she will come out of her shell as she grows..
Catherine

Re: appeals first step

Post by Catherine »

samonly wrote:Does anybody agree with my husband's belief that those who go to pieces in exams, won't enjoy grammar schools anyway?
samonly,

I can't say that I agree with your husband.
From reading comments from other regions, I believe that a few grammars are very pressured envionments.
But, after a few months of my son going to Slough Grammar, I can say that this is not the case for this school. Children are stretched but not pressured, and I believe that this is the same for all the grammars in Slough.
I think that by requesting high standards of work, grammar schools prepare well children for exam pressure. They are tested regularly, unlike in many primary schools, so doing exams becomes a second nature.

Best of luck with your appeal.
newbie but stressed

Post by newbie but stressed »

by the way salmonly I'm really sorry your son missed by just one mark,

This must be a pretty bad feeling missing by such a small amount.

Are you considering an appeal ? I dont think I wil hesitate to appeal which such a small amount.

You are on the right forum anyway,.

I wish you good luck if you do appeal.

NBS
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Hi blessing,

I am sorry your child missed the benchmark.

I can only repeat the advice to read the Q&As and the whole 'Appeals' topic, and just point out some small differences between the Slough and the Bucks approach to the 11+.

- The "Order of Suitability" is specific to Bucks.
- Bucks CC does not allow the primary schools to coach for 11+, and does not recognise that preparation makes a significant difference to the scores.
Consequently, not being able to prepare for the exam isn't a good extenuating circumstance in Bucks.
- By opposition, Slough Borough council allows some coaching done by the primary schools, and the grammar schools strongly advise to prepare.

Could this mean that the Slough appeal panel approach to extenuating circumstances may be different from Bucks CC approach?

I would be very grateful if Etienne could comment on this.

Best wishes

Catherine
Etienne

Re: appeals first step

Post by Etienne »

samonly wrote:child has just failed eleven plus by one point. he is from out of county so sat the test at the school in question, however became so distressed during the second of the three tests in question that he was removed from the exam room and moved to a separate room. He subsequently was so flustered that he guessed 4 and left 6 or so questions unanswered. This was recorded by the invigilating teacher. Have spoken to his class and head teacher, and both are very very supportive that I appeal but is it enough to say that his test results do not reflect his genuine ability? Many people get nervous as has been explained elsewhere on the appeals q&A.
Dear Samonly

I think yours is not the usual "nerves case" because, exceptionally, you have evidence of how distressed your son became. Bearing in mind he missed by only one point, and have strong support from the school, it seems to me well worth an appeal.
Catherine wrote: Bucks CC does not allow the primary schools to coach for 11+, and does not recognise that preparation makes a significant difference to the scores.
Consequently, not being able to prepare for the exam isn't a good extenuating circumstance in Bucks.
- By opposition, Slough Borough council allows some coaching done by the primary schools, and the grammar schools strongly advise to prepare.

Could this mean that the Slough appeal panel approach to extenuating circumstances may be different from Bucks CC approach?

I would be very grateful if Etienne could comment on this.

Best wishes

Catherine
Dear Catherine

If the authority's stated policy is to recommend a certain amount of preparation, and a child is denied that opportunity, then in my view "lack of preparation" should and would be one of the factors taken into account by an appeal panel. The outcome would of course rather depend on all the circumstances of the case, e.g. how close to the passmark, alternative academic evidence, and any other extenuating circumstances.

Best wishes
Etienne
samonly

Post by samonly »

Thank you, (especially to Etienne for replying so promptly) for your comments, you have made a bad day seem slightly better. Have to get started writing the appeal letter now and not knowing 'til April seems like a daunting prospect. I think my husband is wrong too, school is about so much more than passing exams at the highest possible grade. and I liked the school, so should make every effort to ensure that he goes there.