Geographical place - ruling

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Charlotte

Post by Charlotte »

DS thankfully managed to secure a place on geography at selective school; however we would eventually like to move which as 'catchment' is so small would invariably mean moving out of catchment area - family is expanding
does anyone know or perhaps learned WP could help - do we have to remain in present address, does it depend on school, does it depend on after DS actually goes on school roll ie register or does gov. school admissions law state a general rule
any learned replies welcome :?:
watmum

Post by watmum »

Hello Charlotte. Are you saying that your child's place was allocated to one of the partailly selective schools on distance? If so, I do not think that it matters if you move house once your child has started school? surely, one is entitled to live where they choose? Unless I suppose your current address is a rental property and then it may look a bit suspect? I am not sure, but someone will come along who does know !
Charlotte

Post by Charlotte »

Thanks watmum - no not rental, actual permanent address - but should we move (given that property is better value for money at the moment) before sept. 09 then DS will be outside distance criterion
I do not want to jeopardise place but cannot stay her for another 7 years either!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

The address is at the time of the application or qualifying date - if you move later then that is fine and child doesn't lose place - unless of course you move so far you can;t get him to school each day on time :wink:
person

Post by person »

Can we buy your house?
Charlotte

Post by Charlotte »

cheap at 300% above asking price :D thanks for your comments - it's such a minefield I'd better trawl through admissions code

Better find out about sibling rule as well!!
WP

Post by WP »

Charlotte wrote:it's such a minefield I'd better trawl through admissions code

Better find out about sibling rule as well!!
I don't think the admissions code says anything specific about addresses, but the Herts booklet agrees with hermanmunster: "The address you give us should be your child's current permanent address on 24 October 2008. This applies even if you think you might move house." (top of page 21) That's the address you put in your application, which is the address all the schools will use. If you move after that date the school might ask questions, but I would think that showing that you'd sold your sole residence would take care of that.

As for sibling criteria, nothing is guaranteed, but that's also true of partial selection. Personally I think the threat to sibling criteria is less than last year.
Daogroupie

DAO state you must still be at the address at time of start

Post by Daogroupie »

DAO have just made a number of changes to their criteria. I would guess that their new critieria of 22 closest is causing some issues. I personally know of two families who moved to get in. They are now saying in big red on their website that you have to still be living in the house when you start at the school, not just when you apply. They are also asking for anyone who might know anything about any possible fraud.

On another note they have also changed their exam dates and open afternoon for this year.

WP I will be interested to hear your opinion on this, will they be able to push through this , do you think Herts will support them?

I always thought they would find their new 22 closest would cause a whole new set of issues.
WP

Re: DAO state you must still be at the address at time of st

Post by WP »

Daogroupie wrote:DAO have just made a number of changes to their criteria. I would guess that their new critieria of 22 closest is causing some issues. I personally know of two families who moved to get in. They are now saying in big red on their website that you have to still be living in the house when you start at the school, not just when you apply. They are also asking for anyone who might know anything about any possible fraud.
Hmm, they say it in the FAQ, but not in their arrangements, which might leave them on shaky ground as the arrangements are legally binding but the FAQ isn't. It might be wise to check with the county. Perhaps herman has a view.
dottie

Post by dottie »

It is in their determined arrangements for 2010 on their website under the General notes at the end so they must be intending to enforce it.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now