Errors in the Interactive CDs

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Uncle-Sam

Errors in the Interactive CDs

Post by Uncle-Sam »

I am bit worried about quality of the proof reading of the question papers in the Interactive CDs.

Every CD I bought had at least one mistake. You can see the number of problems I have reported in the last few weeks. When I bought these CDs I didn’t expect to have any errors at all. You are selling these CDs for the last 2 or 3 years and I am surprised that no one has reported these mistakes. I don’t accept an excuse saying proof reading is difficult.

I would like to hear other user’s opinion.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Hi Uncle-Sam,

When I started this game, teaching my kids the mysteries of the elevenplus and it was a mystery, the choice of materials was very limited.

Over the last three years this site has promoted e-papers, CDs and download CDs. Some at graded levels. A big step forward in my opinion.

Using this site I have successfully guided DS1 through the process and am working with DS2 and DD.

When we come across errors or questions and answers that we don't understand then we act as we would in an exam, reduce the number of choices make a best guess and move on.

I can understand your frustrations but am concerned come test day your child might spend to much time on an individual question, my DS2 in particular might choose to argue with an invigilator :roll: but I will train him to carry on in the test and come home and argue with me. :)

Some of the questions ask for best fit and so are not perfect.

Out of interest which area and schools are trying for?

Good luck and best wishes.

steve
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Agreed Steve, sometimes it might even be useful to come across an ambiguous question in practice as it teaches you how to cope with them, as you say reduce the choices to a minimum and then guess.

Ambiguous questions can occur at any level in exams - differences in culture / usage of terms etc..... eg what does the word WICKED mean these days?... or for that matter COOL or RANDOM or CHILL
forumadmin
Site Admin

Post by forumadmin »

Hi Uncle-Sam,

Thank you for the comment and input.

We take serious note of the feedback so please feel free to point out any questions that you consider erroneous direct to our contact e-mail (see “Contact Usâ€
Uncle-Sam

Post by Uncle-Sam »

stevew61 wrote:Hi Uncle-Sam,
Out of interest which area and schools are trying for?

Good luck and best wishes.

steve
Tiffins, Kingston and Nonsuch, Epsom

Thanks for your feedback.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Uncle-Sam

On first publication most, if not all, academic material contains errors of some sort.

It is unrealistic to expect 100% accuracy, even in material that is over ten years old.

Having read nearly all the literature available from all the authors of eleven plus material I have not come across a range of questions that does not contain an error or ambiguity.

Now some people could argue that this is unacceptable, that authors of eleven plus material are incompetent, that authors should not release material until they are 100% satisfied that there are no errors.

It is my belief that all eleven plus authors seek to publish work that is as accurate as possible. However, a printed error will remain in circulation until a new print run is completed for printed materials. For some publishers the error rating is deemed so low as to be not worth making changes to the type.

As all The Tutors material is in electronic format amendments can be made within a short time of notification and in the case of CDs free upgrades are made available to all purchasers.

If you were to apply a 1% error rating to The Tutors material you could expect 120 errors across our product range, 0.1% is 12 errors. We know that we have achieved on first publication an error rating considerably lower than 1%. We currently believe that with the issues you have recently identified having been amended that we are below 0.1%.

Tongue-in-cheek and apologies if this is facetious, could someone please make 11,988 postings for each of our questions that are accurate.

Regards

Mike
Mike Edwards is a co-author of The Tutors product range.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now