Given the Green Light

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

alfie2

Given the Green Light

Post by alfie2 »

My state primary has asked all year 5 parents in individually for a meeting about 11+ prospects following recent Sat tests.

How nice to actually be told in honest terms whether or not your child is grammar school material.

Mine was a yes, go ahead, but not to expect a high pass. Others got the same and some got a "borderline" warning. But in all cases the head has promised full support in terms of appeals.

Have others had this from their primary? From what I have read on these forums I think we are very lucky.
Alfie
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

We have not had this from our school. We had parents evening about a month ago and were told the results of CAT tests they did in September and from these it is established whether the school thinks they are capable of taking the 11+.

I was told that my son's CAT results were "not as high as expected" but he should do the 11+ and "he might pull it out of the bag on the day"!

I have already been told that they will not back him at appeal as his CAT test results do not back up an appeal! A very negative attitude I feel!

My son is doing his yr 5 SATS this week and we will not be told the results of these until the end of term.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

alfie2 - is the school's recommendation based on reasoning tests or on the recent sats tests you mention? I hope parents will just take the school's recommendation into account along with other factors and won't base their decision on whether or not to enter their child for the 11+ purely on what the school says. From my experience primary teachers can be remarkably ill-informed about the 11+ and are normally very reserved in their recommendations (presumably not wanting parents to come back to them and say, "but you said they would pass!" ). Some are also anti-11+ and their recommendations may be coloured by this.
T-4-2

Post by T-4-2 »

My DCs school refuse to make recommendations one way or the other. They say they have had too many parents go back and complain if they don't get the right result! But this year, with nothing to lose because the results come out before the CAF form needed to be completed, most (approximately 80%) children took the test. And there were some surprise passes!!
Thomasthetank

Post by Thomasthetank »

I read this site with great interest as at my ds school the headmaster also gives his recommendation on whether he thinks the individual will pass or not based on the optional sats in year 5. My ds was not in the top groups and definately not level 5 in any subject at end of year 5 :!: On this evidence I choose not to bother asking the headmaster for his advice as I know he would probably be very negative and I did'nt want him to put me or my ds off the idea. My son passed with flying colours having no tutor just by doing a few past papers!! So you can never tell. :D My advice to anyone on this forum is [quote]Go For It [/quote]
Rover

Post by Rover »

I agree with TTT.
I was always told my child was not with the high flyers group (about 7 children) so t was really up to me, We went for it, and succeeded, and end of yr 6 SATS showed exceptional results with 98% in Maths and 96% in English - outperforming all bar one of the high flyers group.
TinDad

Post by TinDad »

I posted this some time earlier this year in reply to a parent worried about CAT scores and negative school recommendations. My advice is of course based on personal experience for those put off by schools but I still stand by it and for those new to the forum here it is:-

Ignore them because:-

CAT scores (and SATS) are not always the best guide to 11 plus - see many previous postings on this.

You know your son/daughter better than they do.

They may not know much about the 11 plus there are surprisingly few in most primary schools (and some are against it).

They may not know anything full stop (see below):-

My two DD went to different primary schools several years apart. We were told by both schools neither would pass the 11 plus and they weren't suitable material for a Grammar. My second had far far worse CAT scores than your son, two were not even in triple figures! We ignored the advice. The first DD got into TOGS (Super Selective) and is thriving. The second DD came top of her school for those who took the test and is now also going to Grammar school. Utterly utterly useless, ignore them you know best.

Now you will know the result before you select the school if you believe he/she can do it there is nothing to lose (other than hassle pain and heartache).

Did I mention they were utterly useless?

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... sc&start=0
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Am horrified that any school would make recommendations based on optional Sats in Yr5, or indeed curriculum results full stop (within obvious reason of course). I've said it elsewhere on this forum but I think it's worth repeating, my eldest son was not level 5 in any of the optional SATs at the end of Yr5. He passed the 11+ by nearly 40 marks; his brother was level 5 in everything at the end of year 5 and he passed the 11+ by 10 marks.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I think the main problem with Primary school recommendations are that children that are suited to a GS are not necessarily those who thrive at Primary.

SOME teachers think hard working, neat, compliant pupils are GS material whereas it may be that the 'quirky' pupil who thinks for him or herself may be better suited - :lol:
Thomasthetank

Post by Thomasthetank »

I have to agree with Guest55. There was a boy in my DS class who fitted the hard working, top of class type. His class teacher and headmaster both told the parents he would most certainly pass. The parents felt the need to go around telling all the other parents, most of whom had negative responses about their DC. This boy failed the eleven plus, his parents had to eat humble pie.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now