Recession..what recession?!!

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

guest42

Recession..what recession?!!

Post by guest42 »

Dear Parent, From September 2009, **** School will be offering students in Years 11-13 the opportunity to go horse riding. This will be a games option on Wednesday afternoons
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Will that appear as an extra on the bill? I assume that there is a charge...? There may be a recession but there are still many who would pay for this. What is your feeling about it Guest42?
guest42

Post by guest42 »

Students can work towards qualifications in both riding and stable management, achieving up to six levels of awards in each area from the British Horse Society, a nationally recognised qualification....

Well that's 6 GCSE equivalents in the bag:)
eloise

Post by eloise »

A well known indie in South East London has had so many applicants this year they will have a 7 form, rather than the usual 6 form, entry in September!
huntlie

Post by huntlie »

Doesn't surprise me at all. As long as most state schools carry on as they are, parents will opt to go private.
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

huntlie wrote:Doesn't surprise me at all. As long as most state schools carry on as they are, parents will opt to go private.
In our area all the state primaries are adding classes for next year; there is massive pressure on education (and other services) at present.
Animis opibusque parati
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

SunlampVexesEel wrote:
huntlie wrote:Doesn't surprise me at all. As long as most state schools carry on as they are, parents will opt to go private.
In our area all the state primaries are adding classes for next year; there is massive pressure on education (and other services) at present.
too right SLVE!! seems quite a lot of people (and employers) are cutting back by not renewing private health insurance - meanwhile the private hospitals are filling spare capacity by taking on NHS work so they have plenty to do.
zorro

Post by zorro »

In my son's school they do horse-riding on Fri afternoons as an activity.
Yes it is an extra- £229 per term!!!
His school will be operating at maximum capacity in Sept.
zee

Post by zee »

SunlampVexesEel wrote: In our area all the state primaries are adding classes for next year; there is massive pressure on education (and other services) at present.
But that is probably more to do with the significant increase in birth rate in the last 5 years than a possible and switch of a few families from the very small indie to much larger state sector?
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

zee wrote:
SunlampVexesEel wrote: In our area all the state primaries are adding classes for next year; there is massive pressure on education (and other services) at present.
But that is probably more to do with the significant increase in birth rate in the last 5 years than a possible and switch of a few families from the very small indie to much larger state sector?
I agree. Migration, birth rate and immigration. I was just disagreeing with huntlie's assertion above that the demand was due to dissatisfaction with the state alternative; but more due to general high demand.

I read recently that the forecast was for the UK population to rise to 70M by 2031; lots of demand!!!
Animis opibusque parati
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now