Advice please

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Northkentmum

Advice please

Post by Northkentmum »

My daughter at an indie school in year 8 has been told her maths is at national ciriculum level 6c. She was a 4b in year 6 and failed 11+ maths paper by few marks (its always been her worst subject).

My question is what is the expected grade at this point as she has done so well in this school, gaining a minor scholarship, but I'm not sure a 6c reflects the marks of a girl who is surposed to be top of her year.
NKM
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

If she was a level 4b in Year 6 then she has made nearly two levels of progress - for her this is fine.

Other children who were level 5 should be level 7 -

I would not be too worried at this stage -
Northkentmum

Post by Northkentmum »

Thank you Guest55, I was hoping you were lurking somewhere on the forum :D

One more question, if she was at grammar would she be expected to be at level 7? I ask this as we very rarely get grades from the school that correspond with the national grades so whilst she appears to be doing well its hard to judge, and if so should we consider extra tutition in maths just to help her along?
NKM
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Hi - yes I'm usually lurking :lol:

I would not expect a level 4b to be level 7 yet - unless they had made exceptional progress or she was in a weak Primary school - she would be expected to get to level 7 in Year 9.
Northkentmum

Post by Northkentmum »

Thanks guest55, appreciate your advice :D
NKM
magwich2

advice please

Post by magwich2 »

My DD just got a gold in the uk maths challenge (junior) - she is 11 and in year 7. What national curriculum level does this equate to please?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It does not relate to the national curriculum - look here for what it means:

http://www.mathcomp.leeds.ac.uk/individ ... challenge/

I have had some very able (now PhD and first at Oxbridge) who never even got a certificate! It does not seem to relate completely to ability - but they are very worthwhile competitions -
KES Parent

Re: advice please

Post by KES Parent »

magwich2 wrote:My DD just got a gold in the uk maths challenge (junior) - she is 11 and in year 7. What national curriculum level does this equate to please?
My daughter, many years ago, got a Gold Certificate and Best in School at age 11/12, and she scored Level 6 in KS2 SATS (yes, Level 6 did exist then!). I never thought I would agree with Guest 55, but her ability did not bear fruit once the teenage hormones kicked in! She couldn't even manage an A* in GCSE maths and refused to do A levels at all. It can work both ways, and many of her friends who were much less able at the time but who worked hard and consistently at school have achieved amazing things since.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

In my opinion you must give her the opportunity to even be considered for GS. You and her may regret it later on and you don't need to make any decisions now. G55 is right when s/he says that you can do this work yourself. I think most of us on here have either done nothing ot home tutored.

Are the results out Magwich? DS got to the national final in the Intermediate and sat the Junior in April. Knowing my son though he will not do as well in the perceived easier paper! :roll:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now