Common entrance exam tips for studying.

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

blue

Common entrance exam tips for studying.

Post by blue »

Hi,

does anyone have any tips on creating a good routine for studying for the common entrance exam? My daughter takes hers in January and we are covering all the basics at the moment at home which she is enjoying but just wondered if anyone could give me advice if they have done this before, it is new to us and her school does not help in this area so we are very much on our own.
She will be doing verbal reasoning, maths, english and science.
Difficult as I believe a lot of what is in the exam is what will be covered in year 6 at school but she won't have done most of it when does the exam in Jan!

Would really welcome some advice and anyone who has had experience of entrance exams in Berkshite too.

Thanks!
T-4-2

Re: Common entrance exam tips for studying.

Post by T-4-2 »

blue wrote: Difficult as I believe a lot of what is in the exam is what will be covered in year 6 at school but she won't have done most of it when does the exam in Jan!
Don't forget that the other applicants will also be in year 6 and therefore won't have covered it either :)
blue

Post by blue »

Yes, you have a point there.
Just hope we are covering the right stuff.
By the way, bad spelling mistake on Berkshire there, really didn't mean to insult it by spelling it that way!!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

ISEB sell CE past papers on their website. Other than that most schools only require a 55% pass rate for 13+ although some schools are slightly higher.
Optimist

Post by Optimist »

Hi Blue

Try **********

They sell a lot of ISEB exam paers, some with answers, and revision books for the CE exam.

Removed by a moderator.
T-4-2

Post by T-4-2 »

blue wrote: By the way, bad spelling mistake on Berkshire there, really didn't mean to insult it by spelling it that way!!
:lol: Hadn't noticed before, until you pointed it out :lol:
FirstTimeBuyer

Re: Common entrance exam tips for studying.

Post by FirstTimeBuyer »

blue wrote:Hi,

does anyone have any tips on creating a good routine for studying for the common entrance exam? My daughter takes hers in January and we are covering all the basics at the moment at home which she is enjoying but just wondered if anyone could give me advice if they have done this before, it is new to us and her school does not help in this area so we are very much on our own.
She will be doing verbal reasoning, maths, english and science.

Thanks!
Firstly I am assuming that you are aiming at CE at 11+, rather than 13+ (if not, ignore the rest of this post! :( )

You can download the 11+ syllabus for Maths, English, and Science from the ISEB website ( www.iseb.co.uk ).
For example you will see that Maths strays beyond KS2 and into KS3. The following is from the website of a Indie school, and gives you an idea:
The examination follows broadly the National Curriculum for Mathematics at Key Stage 2. In
addition, there will be questions or parts of questions which will allow candidates to show their
ability or extra knowledge. Particular examples of this would be: use of the four number
operations on any numbers, including fractions and decimals; the ability to generalise a pattern
of numbers and construct a formula using algebra; the ability to calculate the area of a right
angled triangle and the volume of solids formed from cuboids; the ability to calculate the mean
of a set of discrete data; the ability to calculate a numerical probability from relative frequencies
There is a wealth of material on this site on VR, in a separate thread on the forum index.

Another poster mentioned ********** which is certainly excellent for 13+ textbooks and revision books, although I have no direct experience of them for 11+, as the State school material remains relevant.

It is difficult to give advice on how many hours per day or week etc (it must be child specific), but my own experience of bringing DS, who had been educated abroad, up to the speed of his peers and aiming towards CE at 13+ is that it is a more comfortable feeling to get ahead and relax later, than have a mad rush towards the end when you don't want to start stressing your DC.
Exams are formidable for the best prepared. The greatest fool may ask what the wisest man cannot answer.
blue

Study tips for 11+

Post by blue »

Thanks FirstTimeBuyer,
that advice is great and I will check out the ISEB web!
Thea

Post by Thea »

Puzzled CE in January not June :?
Best Regards,
Thea
blue

common entrance exam tips for studying.

Post by blue »

Dear Thea,

yes, common entrance to local private school in Berks is in Jan.
Think it's different for grammar schools and diff areas.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now