KE format

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
firsttimermum

KE format

Post by firsttimermum »

Hi!

Just wanted to ask what the format of the papers for 2008 were ..Sorry tried to find previous postings but couldn't..so if anyone could point me in the right direction I would be grateful

.have read fm's account of the test - when they say there were 80 synonyms to do in 10 minutes - and other sections to do in 12 minutes etc -

Also has anyone tried the tutors cds on this website..if I was to start preperation which route should I take...there are so many NFER,IPS, LEARNING TOGETHER...We have completed Bond 11 plus papers.

We are keen to get into KE Camp Hill and KE High school ...so if anyone has succeeded please help :? [/quote]

Advertising removed by a moderator, please refer to forum rules.
clarendon

Post by clarendon »

Hi firsttimermum,

In an earlier post you mentioned that your son attends tuition. If this is the case, then wouldn't it be best to seek advice from his tutor? If the tutor has a good success rate with KE passes then surely by sticking to what he/she is setting your son would be the best route to success. He will know your son best and should be well placed to suggest "extra" work.

I. too have a son due to sit the test this year and he also attends tuition. The tutor sets his own work, regularly tests the children and has an excellent pass rate. I find the time to give my son extra work as and when but most importantly I feel he reads every day. I read more challenging books with him and ensure he knows the meaning of unfamilair words. He is also an avid reader himself... When reading with him I ask him to explain what is meant by..... How else could that be expressed.....? etc, so that he fully understands what he is reading.

My daughter passed KE exam this year and is starting in Sept. at Handsworth. She also pased KEHS but their exam is rather different to the boys' school.

Hope this has been of some help,
regards Clarendon
clarendon

Post by clarendon »

Sorry, forgot to say that I have no experience of the ******** or the Tutor's cds, but if you trawl thru' previous posts by fm and KenR, both who have more knowledge of the KE tests than I have, you will find much info.

removed by a moderator
firsttimermum

Post by firsttimermum »

Clarendon,

Hi! Thanx for replying, I have pm'd you

Regards,
ftm
clarendon

Post by clarendon »

Hi FTM haven't received any pms from you... has it got stuck in your outbox?
firsttimermum

KE format

Post by firsttimermum »

Hi Fm!

Thankyou for your detailed reply. I have to say I am shocked and actually beginning to panic. My DS has tried the papers you mentioned and finds them straightforward, but when I showed himthe list of words you sent, he was also surprised. I'm worried he will panic on the day and not apply his knowledge to new situations..

The questions sound so different to what he is taught at tuition and through all the other texts frequently mentioned. Foe example, the non-VR hexagon! I think children wouldn't understand what to do, and not that couldn't do the questions...if that makes sense.Do they get explained or are they just thrown in the deep end :shock:
clarendon

Post by clarendon »

Hi ftm I have received your pm and sent a reply
fm

Post by fm »

As far as the non-verbal is concerned, they are talked through an example before they turn over the sheet. The important thing is to ensure your child knows how to listen to instructions--rather than just sit there like a racer on the blocks waiting for the start signal rather than concentrate on the walkthrough.

Adaptability to the unfamiliar and the ability to cope under pressure are exactly the qualities for which the KE exam are searching. In my experience children who are naturally good at non-verbal do not have problems with this section whereas the ones who have had to be 'trained up' to tackle the normal examples may struggle.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

fm wrote:Adaptability to the unfamiliar and the ability to cope under pressure are exactly the qualities for which the KE exam are searching. .
ah the memories fm, I remember the head at KEHS saying to us that "adaptability was a sign of high intelligence" - usually when she wanted us to sit down and shut up after we had got hyped up over something!!! :shock:
fm

Post by fm »

You're not a bloke?? Or have I misunderstood.