QCA results year 5

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
liesauk

QCA results year 5

Post by liesauk »

Hello again!

Wonder if you wonderful people can put my mind at rest. My DD2 teacher has told me that it isn't possible for a child sitting SATS to gain anything higher than a level 5. Is this true?

DD2 is in yr 5 and has just had her qca results and she got a 5B in all subjects apart from science (4a) and reading (5a)

fank Q

hehehe

liesa
xx
liesauk

Post by liesauk »

I hope that didn't come across as pompous :(

my concern is, if she is in year 5 will she be challenged in year 6? We are going for all the grammar schools although she has set her heart on SCGSG. I just want her to be given work that will keep her enthusiasm going etc.

thanks again

liesa
x
fm

Post by fm »

No, 5 is the top. Even when they were able to sit a level 6 maths paper, ordinary state schools would not actually teach towards this.

What happens next year will probably be dependent on who she has as a year 6 teacher and how many other able children are in her particular class/set. For instance in my daughter's maths set at state primary, the whole class was on 5c or above at this stage so they spent minimal time doing practice Sats Papers. That said their somewhat lazy teacher didn't do much to excite them about the subject either.

A good teacher will also encourage her writing ability and, just because she is on a very creditable 5b in this, does not mean she cannot spend the year striving to be better (outwith any SATs levels). I have actually had pupils who are on 5A English writing on year 5, but I still felt there was significant room for improvement and growth in their writing, both in style, content and basics such as spelling and handwriting.

If I had a child of this ability, I would forget about Sats levels and encourage a love of English, whether it is in the books she reads or the stories she writes. Even if the school doesn't do anything particular for her as an individual, this does not stop her striving to excel within the bounds of what she is doing.
solimum

Post by solimum »

There is no "official" SATS exam for year 6 which can give them level 6 or above (for a few years there was an optional extra paper but that's been withdrawn). However the teaching and expectations should not be capped by that artificial limit - teachers can give assessed levels higher and should in any case be providing work to stretch your daughter whatever her "level".

Cross-posted with fm who makes a similar point far more eloquently - obviously a 6a there!
fm

Post by fm »

Actually no, I'm afraid I was bottom at English at 11 (albeit in a streamed A class) because I never understood what comprehension questions were asking and my teachers did not appreciate my essay writing (I used to write batman scripts in the days of the more innocent Batman). I was, however, given the school English prize 5 years later and studied it at university which is why I spend a great deal of time telling parents not to make too many assumptions about their children at the age of 11.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Pupils can get a teacher assessment higher than a level 5 - there are optional tasks for assessing this on the QCA website.
liesauk

Post by liesauk »

Thank you all so much for helping me understand this better.
I was just confused that she would now seem to be somewhat capped. But totally understand your point about a love of English Fm. To be fair to her great ability, she reads insecently!! At night I have to prise the golden compass out of her hands hehehe.
She was a bit miffed a few weeks ago when she asked if she could start to read 'cream' books out of the library (they are the last colour to be read in school) to be told "no you can't K... because what will you read next year?"
That has changed now though in light of her QCA tests.

Fm, I do want to say a particular thank you to you though. Your input in helping us prepare for the SGSGS exam has meant that her Math scores have leapt from a predicted 4A to a 5B so thank you very much and even if she doesn't make it to Grammar school, this extra help has been invaluable in making her more confident and a more determined 'future Prime Minister' (her decision DEFINATELY NOT mine heehhe)

thanks again

Liesa
x
Milla

Post by Milla »

if school are stifling her reading with their strange notions, get her along to the main library, the public one!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

At year 4 parents evening meeting I was told " I;ve told him, it's all very well him reading Harry Potter and the Hobbit, but he needs to read all the reading scheme books first as they cover all the words in the English Language"
:shock: :shock:

The only book I know that does that is a Dictionary and the plot is, quite frankly, boring!

Luckily not all his teachers felt that way
Milla

Post by Milla »

I've got to the stage with mine (DS2, year 5, mad reader, random child, read all HP books 10x I kid you not, virtually every page turned over because of funny phrases or interesting words) of breaking ranks and saying there's one rule for school and one for home. I let him re-read books (up to 10x!) because he reads so very fast and gets such genuine enjoyment from the vocab and he always has a book on the go - whereas at school they are ploughing through Michael Morpurgos he whipped through in Y3. I'm not claiming he's a genius or anything although a tutor friend said he had a reading and spelling age of about 15, I think, he's just very interested and I mourn that this cannot be exploited at school.
The same goes for maths and this gridding and chunking they do for multiplication and division. All very well to explain the concept, to get across that the 3 in 30 is a ten, and that big numbers are made up of smaller ones, but so very many ways to go wrong and so time-cumbersome and so off-putting. I played by the rules with DS1 (y7) who HATED maths at primary, never got it, although quick as a flash with his tables. He'd get the multiplication and division wrong because of one slip in the lengthy process and then get demoralised and go right off it. Now that he is at GS and tackling bigger things with more speed he has taken to it like a duck to water. I sometimes wonder just what they do at primary cf the HUGE leap to GS. Possibly not something experienced to the same extent by children who've been at private school where they are not strait-jacketed so by the nat curr.
I see school instead, at the moment, as someone he has to develop his social side, getting on with people etc, but not as the sole seat of his academic learning.