Need Bucks exam tutor in Sunbury

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
malkbk

Need Bucks exam tutor in Sunbury

Post by malkbk »

Can anyone help me find a good tutor for the Bucks 11 plus exam.? We are moving to Bucks but at the moment and for the next two terms at least will still be living in Sunbury (Middlesex). If anyone has any advice on how to go about finding an experienced Bucks exam tutor who is in our area, I would be very grateful.
Thankyou in advance.[/b]
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Malkbk

Do you want a tutor for a specific reason? Why dont you DIY?....there is plenty of help and support via this forum.

Patricia
malkbk

bucks tutor

Post by malkbk »

I think there is a lot more chance of my son listening to a tutor. That is the main reason.
any advice?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Malkbk

I understand your point of view - DIY can work for some, but become a battleground for others.

I suggest that you look at the Bucks forum, especially Patricia's many posts on the subject of which questions are used for the Bucks NFER VR test. Also, check the home page of the Forum for the same information. (I'm sorry I can't give you a link to either of these, as I am too shattered to look for them all at the mo!)

Then, contact a tuition company/individual tutor in your area (via small ads or - better - personal referral) and ask if they tutor VR for NFER papers. Check their references, credentials, etc, just as you would normally do, but then set the agenda for tuition yourself, insisting on only the Bucks questions being taught.

Do come back if you need more help.

Sally-Anne
malkbk

bucks tutor cont

Post by malkbk »

Thankyou very much for taking the time to reply. i will take your advice and see how far I get.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Hi malkbk,

Salle-Anne advice is very good avice.
I used a tutor for my son that turned out to be very disapointing. At the time, I didn't know anything about the 11+, and discovered that there was a problem almost too late.
I would really recommend that you follow Sally-Anne advice and learn as much as possible about the exam yourself to be able to have an informed opinion .
Once you child has started, keep an eye on the methods and materal used. If the tutor's approach varies too much from the advice given here, ask questions on the forum.

In brief, Bucks format is NFER, multichoice and 21 question types as defined by the publisher IPS.

Best of luck,

Catherine
malkbk

bucks exam

Post by malkbk »

Thanks for your reply. I have still not found anyone so will start things off myself. I have sent for the IPS papers.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Hi malkbk,

I have browsed through the old posts looking for Patricia's advice to parents who are just starting.

Here's a good topic to read if you haven't already done so.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... .php?t=552

Catherine
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Do also think about getting The Tutors CDs from this website - they have rave reviews from parents. They might be most useful if you and your son descend into the battlezone!

Sally-Anne
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Malkbk

The following link 5th post down is a more up to date timetable

viewtopic.php?t=929

Patricia
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now