Ivy League in the UK?

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

T.i.p.s.y

Ivy League in the UK?

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/un ... nment.html

I actually agree with this as long as they offer the huge bursaries that they do in the US.
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

deleted
Last edited by Loopyloulou on Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loopy
sj355

Post by sj355 »

Loopyloulou wrote:My brother-in-law, who is head of a science department at a Russell Group ("Ivy League"?) university, has just returned from a student recruitment drive in China :shock: ! He has never done anything like that before, but apparently this year the department has such little government funding that it must recruit a certain number of foreign students to balance the books. Those places will then not be available for home students.
China is always an apealling place to recruit (for ages, this is no news!)and yes I have been send to China in the past too! As Chinese students pay full fees the university does not make a loss by getting them. (The state money that Universities take per EU/UK student have never been sufficient to cover the costs of each such student) Unlike UK/EU students (i.e. "home" students) there is no quota on how many OS students a university can take as their studies are not funded by the tax payers and a small profit margin is made on each. Hence Asian students are not competing for places with UK students. However EU ones most certainly are: they also get student loans in the same terms as the UK ones. The fun part is that very few of them ever have to repay them because as they came from poorer EU countries when they return back home they take a very long time (if ever) for their income to reach the level of income where the repaying has to start!
sj355
sj355

Post by sj355 »

By the way my brother works in another very high ranking university and the get very few if any "home" students. All of their students are of Asian origins because the majority of the students that manage to satisfy the conditional offers are Asian. As most of the student are virtually OS then in effect the University becomes independent on its teaching side as it does not have to rely on HEFCE funds for students to cover its costs.
sj355
sj355

Post by sj355 »

My suggestion is that home students ought to be allowed to apply to universities either as "home" students (so competing for the limited subsidised places) or as "independent" students (so competing with foreigners for the unsubsidised places), or as both. That would get more British students into the universities, which must be a good thing.
[/quote]

The classification of a student as home has to do with his residence. If you are UK or EU you are home. Else you are overseas.

Making a classification of students as rich and non rich is an idea but let's not get all hypocritical by trying to code name privilidge/no privilidge (or bucks/no bucks) as home/OS!!
sj355
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

But sj355 what you seem to be saying is that it's alright for an asian student to be allowed to buy a place at a good British university but it's wrong for a British student to be allowed to ?
Loopy
sj355

Post by sj355 »

Loopyloulou wrote:But sj355 what you seem to be saying is that it's alright for an asian student to be allowed to buy a place at a good British university but it's wrong for a British student to be allowed to ?
Yes, because the former does not take the place of a home student whereas the second does as there is a quota for home students but none for OS. In any case as I said the places are taken on the basis of who typically satisfies the conditional offers: guess who?

In any case there is an independent university in the UK. I suggest they make more so that all "home" students can go there if they feel like paying.
sj355
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

What uni is the SJ? I don't think anyone ever wants to pay for uni but uni's are seriously under funded.
sj355

Post by sj355 »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:What uni is the SJ? I don't think anyone ever wants to pay for uni but uni's are seriously under funded.
With that I can agree. Let us raise the UG fees at long last! However it would not do much to improve the underepresentation of UK students in the UK. As far as PG education is concerned they have long been a minority and it is not for funding reasons as the fees charged for home/overseas in PG programmes do not typically differ much.

I do not see why people mind Chinese students: they make excellent students, especially in quantitative subjects and at the end of the day the manaufacture for you virtually everything you consume. Let us not be ungrateful, shall we? :wink:
sj355
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

What uni in the UK is independent SJ?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now