St Bernards

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
wraysburymum

St Bernards

Post by wraysburymum »

I wonder if anyone can throw some light on this one for me? I have read the thread that Herschel have introduced a "catchment" clause in their details this year. As this school has historically been the consortium school with the lowest mark required for a place, the chances of getting in with a 112 from 5 miles+ away looks grim. So.. plan B. What exactly is the criteria for getting into St Bernards? We are closer, but not wanting to convert overnight to being a catholic, wondered what score was required? I have DD1 at Slough but DD2's weakness is Maths and strength is NVR (so not overconfident at a place with her sister). St Bernard's website is vague to say the least. Anyone have any experience??? thanks in advance....
wraysburymum
partygirl

Post by partygirl »

St Bernard's gives a Catholic child who scores 111 or more a place usually regardless of where they live. Certainly Catholic children where I live (about 10 miles away) get a place at St Bernard's if they achieve 111. St Bernard's admission policy states that if there are places left after Catholic children have been awarded places then they will consider other Christian denominations providing they have a priest reference. This is all in the admissions policy which can be found on the St Bernard's website. I do know that in the past few years St.Bernard's have awarded places to non Catholics.

You may want to bear in mind that it is unlikely that St.Bernard's will still be a grammar school by the time your DC leaves.
wraysburymum

Post by wraysburymum »

Thanks for that, we have friends whose children go to St Bernards who are not catholic but live relatively closely. Just trying to widen my search as it gets down to the logistics of being in two places for pick-up and drops at the same time (Slough are changing their school times as of September!) The figures show that St Bernards offer down to 111 so if all Catholic children are offered a space, they must go through the scores until all places are taken.
wraysburymum
partygirl

Post by partygirl »

I read your comment regarding the school times with interest. My DD starts in Slough in Sept. I believe the start time will be 8:30am, is that correct?

We have an appointment with DS new form teacher in two weeks time. My DD has been placed in the Spanish and German language classes for Sept. What are our chances of getting the German changed to French? DD has been doing French as an extra curricular activity for the last two years.