Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

newguest

When to start preparing for 11+

Post by newguest »

My child is in year 5 and she is 10 when do we start to prepare for 11+
Fairy

11+ preparation

Post by Fairy »

This is a very difficult question to answer as a lot depends upon your child. Many start preparing about a year before the exam so as to make the prep work less intense for the child. However, if your child has a positive attitude and has received good end of term academic reports, then it is possible to prepare in weeks rather than months. You can obtain lots of good material to help your child (most of which is available through ElevenPlus Exams On-Line Store who provide an excellent service) and, if you welcome the preparation with enthusiasm, your child will benefit greatly from this exercise.
Gerard

How soon to start tutoring for the exam?

Post by Gerard »

As a tutor I like to work with children for two years. This allows me to put the exam in perspective ie just part of your child's education. We are in danger of becoming so obsessed with the exam that we miss the broader picture. You are aiming to have a well prepared happy child going to the exam room, ready to do their best, not a totally stressed out one!
Orson

when to start preparing for 11+

Post by Orson »

I've been tutoring children for 16 years (for 11+ exams) and I can assure you that one hour per week for one year is enough. If they need longer, they're not grammar school material.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear New guest

Much will depend on which area you are from and which disciplines are used, is it Verbal Reasoning, Non Verbal Verbal Reasoning, Maths, English or a mixture.

I tend to agree with Fairy and Orson.

In Bucks we only have Verbal reasoning, for a child sitting their test next October, I would not start a child until the new year. I do not teach anything other than 11 plus, if they need help in other areas then I would question their ability to make the standard in a grammar school. Too much, too long 11 plus tuition is overkill. The child will come to hate 11 plus time, making the whole affair counter productive.

Patricia

Ps just realised I am replying to a post that's over a year old!......my thoughts still stand though.
Orson

when to start preparing for 11+

Post by Orson »

I wholeheartedly echo Patricia's opinions. If the test is just 2 VR papers to be sat in Oct/Nov. then a New Year start is perfect. I have seen children for up to 2 years and they are no better prepared than they would have been after 1 year. It's a waste of time and money. An hour a week, (perhaps 75 mins nearer the test) should suffice.

I also recommend working through the holidays whenever possible as children can go backwards and you waste valuable time catching up.

Steady, gradual, stress-free progress towards the test is the best route. Cramming should be avoided if poss. although this does suit a certain type of child.

Orson

Post by Guest »

You mention cramming may suit a certain type of child, out of curosity what type would that be? I am asking because I thought my child did'nt suit long term preparation so I prepared her over 6 or so weeks. I am still wondering whether I made the correct decision.
GemB

whether to and when to start

Post by GemB »

I am interested in the comment that if a child needs help in other areas they may not be Grammar school material. My daughter has started seeing a tutor for maths, not because she is not numerate but because she lacks the confidence and speed. I have tried to help in the summer holidays and we did not progress very far. So far she loves going to see this lady and is starting to feel more confident. :)

What I don't know is whether to continue with this tuition for 11+ for next October. She did a VR test in year 3 and got 129, but the school have stopped doing this at the end of every year now as they say it is not a good enough indicator of 11+ success. This tutor when I asked says she would usually use this score to help make that decision.

My daughter is very nervous of "tests" so I do wonder if some practice with someone else would help, but I'm still not sure whther to make such a big deal of it with her.

Wondered how anyone else made that decision -have asked at school at Parents eve in Oct and was given the "pushy parent" look and told we can't tell at this stage.
would be grateful of comments
thank you
jah

Post by jah »

Interesting comment about Grammar School candidates not needing general tutoring. This all depends on how the child is challenged at school!

In this area (Birmingham) many of the children taking the 11+ are at independent schools. At my children's primary school, several children each year disappear at the end of year 4 to spend 2 years in the private sector to be prepared for the 11+. The independent schools aim to have their children a year ahead of the National Curriculum. If you are competing against these children (and the 11+ is a competition after all), your child needs to be ahead of the game as well.

I was confident that my daughter was well up in English (the school has assessed her as gifted at English), but over the summer hols I got her a Year 6 workbook to try. In the end, she said that she found the Maths in her 11+ exam easy. Time will tell whether she has got a place
jah

Post by jah »

Sorry. My previous post doesn't quite make sense. I got my daughter a year 6 Maths workbook to try.