US SATs scores as evidence in Bucks appeal?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

US SATs scores as evidence in Bucks appeal?

Post by Guest »

Hi
We're appealing for my child who was 3 marks short. We've submitted academic evidence ie predicted 3 level 5s, headteachers recommendation, other test scores etc as most others have discussed. I've noticed some people mention including the SATs from year 2. My child started school in the US and has SAT results from second grade from there. They are in a very different format but show that she was at the 'advanced' level in language arts and math; also there are scaled scores (out of 700) which are normalised to national levels on which she ranges from the 88th percentile in reading to the 99.9th in spelling. She was allowed to enter school in the US a year early so these are in comparison to children older than her. My question is, what level of importance is attached to year 2 SATs in the appeal, is it worth trying to communicate her results, or will this unfamiliar information just be too complicated for a busy appeal panel to digest?
thanks
Max

Post by Max »

Sorry to hear your child just missed the mark required.

first thing is it's not the end of the world.

I think what you have said is enough for a panel to consider. It's definatly worth mentioning that your where in the US and your child was at advanced level over there.
Doubt they will be any more interested, but it's no harm to mention this.

At least mention you have been out of the country and the education level may not have been as good in the US. Or certainly different...

Go for it and good luck..
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

The panel might ask about any previous scores, so it is worth having the numbers to hand, especially of scores above the 90th percentile for the core subjects/skills.

I wouldn't go into long explanations of the differences in the system. I would also be cautious about saying that the education your daughter received in the US might have been of a lower standard, as that then undermines the good scores!

Good luck with the appeal
Sally-Anne
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I don't think a panel will be very interested in year 2. This sort of thing probably only happens when parents say "We've had ongoing extenuating circumstances for the past three years". A panel might then be interested to see how the child was performing before all the problems started. Another reason for going back to the early years might be if there is a lack of recent evidence.

I agree with Sally-Anne that it's worth having the information with you, just in case anyone asks "How did she get on in an American school?"

I've made a brief comment about American English in the Q&As - section B32:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... nswers.php
Obviously, the longer the child has been abroad, the more relevant this might be.

Regards
Etienne

Post by Guest »

Thank you all for your helpful advice.