Interaction of waiting list with appeals

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Parent1965

Interaction of waiting list with appeals

Post by Parent1965 »

If a school say admits 180 pupils and is full and 2 appeals are upheld and the number increased to 182 is it correct that places will then not be offered to people on the waiting list until the numbers are back below 180.

If this is correct is it justified to question the panel on the movement in the waiting list that normally occurs between when the appeals are decided and the start of term?

The schools arguement is bascically that it is full and that to admit extra pupils would prejudice those pupils who already have places. Given that the appeals upheld from this school are only 1 or 2 in past years my feeling is that those pupils getting in on appeal are only replacing those that would ordinarily have got in from the waiting list and would not lead to excess numbers.
Parent1965

Available information

Post by Parent1965 »

Also what happens if I ask a question such as the above and the schools representative does not know the answer?
Parent1965

Sorry all

Post by Parent1965 »

Sorry put this in the wrong place - have reposted question on appeals section - please see that thread
fm

Post by fm »

I don't know to which specific KE you are referring, but last year an appeal being granted led to one extra in a class as Camp Hill Girls. I assume from this that they had already reached their maximum before appeals were heard, then after this point no other children dropped out so they remained one extra.

I can see circumstances where an appeal was granted, then a place became vacant at King Edward Handsworth (which usually has the most movement) at a later date and the school might then decide that, as the appellant already brought them over number, they would not offer this place out.

In this way the appellant gained a place that otherwise would have gone to next on waiting list.

I don't see how any of this, however, would help you argue your case. In fact, you could argue that, if this is what happens (which I'm sure it does), then the child winning the appeal effectively gains a place which otherwise would be going to a child who gained a higher score and this is disputably unfair to the child on the waiting list.

I am not sure challenging something like this is going to help. I think your best bet would be to concentrate on proving that your child underperformed due to circumstances surrounding the test (distractions in the room, problems at home etc.)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now