11+ appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

russfav

11+ appeal

Post by russfav »

Hi, my daughter failed the 11+ in Wirral by 3 marks. I am concerned that we were referred to the Independent Assessment Board but the outcome of referral says Not Grammar. Looking at other comments does this mean the school have been contacted and have not supported our case ?

Our grounds for appeal are around she was being bullied at school at the time and also had an absence seizure and saw a hospital consultant.

My eldest daughter already goes to the grammar school (West Kirby) does this help.

Any advice gratefully received
Grumpy!

Post by Grumpy! »

Hi

I'm sorry that you find yourself in this position, and will help if I can, based on my experiences last year, but I think that you will need to clarify with wirral to be sure about how they are treating the review.

Last year children who were referred to the IAB were effectively barred from appealing on academic grounds - section 3.37 of the admissions code says
Where a local review process has been followed, the panel must not make its own assessment of the child's ability, but must consider whether each child's review ws carried out in a fair, consistent and objective way eg whether the same type of evidence was used in all cases. If there is not evidence that this has been done, it must follow the process in paragraph 3.36

3.36 is a 'normal' appeal.

Did you let the school formally know by 12th December that there were factors affecting your daughter? If so, were they included in the reveiw. If not, then you may have grounds for saying that 3.37 was not applied fairly and you can then appeal on academic grounds.

I have to say that the ombudsman's review of the procedures followed by Wirral last year was rather scathing and ran to 5 pages. Appeals had to be carried out again. I would be happy to e-mail a copy of this document to anyone who finds themselves up against the same problem this year in Wirral, if that is ok with the moderators for people to pm me? (And if you think it would help!)

Good luck!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

That's very helpful, Grumpy! Thank you.

There is a general warning about Reviews in the Q&As, B18.
Etienne
russfav

Post by russfav »

thanks,yes I would like to see a copy. Sorry new to the forum what does pm mean ? and what do I need to do

we didn't specifically let the school know about the issues around the 11+ but they did know about both the medical condition and bullying but I doubt they would have factored them in as mitigating circumstances if they had been asked.

I guess I need to go and have a word with them

on my appeal is it worth mentioning my eldest daughter is at the grammar school,does that carry any weight ?

thanks
Grumpy!

Post by Grumpy! »

i've sent you a pm - private message, you need to go into your forum inbox to read it.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

my eldest daughter is at the grammar school,does that carry any weight ?
A sibling might help when appealing against oversubscription, but not for non-qualification.

However, I'm afraid you won't even get as far as presenting your case if the Authority claim there's already been a fair, consistent, & objective Review - and you can't persuade the panel otherwise.
Etienne
russfav

Post by russfav »

we were successful in our appeal, thanks for all your help :D
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Great news - well done - now they can be together :D
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Congratulations Wonderful news
Bougalou

Post by Bougalou »