guide to yr 5 SATS

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

lindah162

guide to yr 5 SATS

Post by lindah162 »

Could anyone give me a rough idea what mark my son (yr 5) should really be getting in this yrs Sats to be at a level suitable for 11+. He is preparing at the moment for grammar school tests later this yr, he is doing well, but i 2would like aguide as to what he should be achieving or what any of the posters on this forums children are getting. Thanks
inkypinkyponky

Post by inkypinkyponky »

Hello linda h,

Have just scrabbled under the bureau and found some dusty envelopes containing DC's old school reports so here's what I've found:-

DD1 (now yr9@local Grammar) in year5 end of year report scored:-

English- Reading 5a (had reading age 4 years above actual age, had to ask the teacher for this info)
Writing 4a
Spelling 17/20

Maths- 4a

Mental Arithmatic 16/20

In year 6 she got three level 5's and 20/20 in spellings and mental maths. She had no tuition, passed easily and is now in top sets at Grammar. Those who had tuition and/or just scraped through are now in the bottom sets and struggling to keep up. Sorry, sounds like a boast but she was so chuffed to pass with her own ability!

I will also give you the results of DD2 at end of year 5, who is at the other end of the ability spectrum. She has dyslexia/dyspraxia and exophoria (a vision problem where her eyes do not focus together, meaning that any reading or writing is slow and difficult)
DD2 (now yr7@ local secondary)

English- Reading 3c (reading age 3 years below actual age)
Writing 3c
Spelling 0/20 (ahh, bless!)

Maths- 3c

Mental Arithmatic 5/20

She tries so hard but this isn't reflected in her scores. At the Year 6 awards she was given a trophy for being the hardest working girl so was thrilled!

Hope these different ends of the spectrum results help!
lindah162

Post by lindah162 »

Oh thanks for that, thats great. My ds got 4a last year so i am hoping his results this yr will be 5C and that will be good enough(?!). He is excellent at reading at spelling. Top reading group, but im not sure they stretch him enough as he is reading year 6 books easily. I would say he is 3 yrs ahead reading wise to be honest.

oH and bless your dd2. WEll done to her for trying so hard.
inkypinkyponky

Post by inkypinkyponky »

Sounds like your son is very able and of high ability given his score last year and well on track. Hopefully he will get good year 5 scores too- do let us know!

In year 3 DD1 found the year 6 books easy so a friend who works in a school suggested I wrote in (so could be put in her file) and asked for her to be a 'free reader' i.e. not tied to the school reading books. Her teacher agreed and so I supplied books from the library or from The Red House internet bookstore. These were written in her reading record book to show what she was reading.
Perhaps you could ask your son's school if you could supply his own books- or do it anyway even if they don't agree :twisted:

DD2 is such a sweetie and so pleased that in her year 6 SATS she got a 100% improvement in her spelling score. She got 1/20 !!!
T-4-2

Post by T-4-2 »

inkypinkyponky wrote: DD2 is such a sweetie and so pleased that in her year 6 SATS she got a 100% improvement in her spelling score. She got 1/20 !!!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

And I'll bet she worked soooo hard for that 1/20, bless her!!!
T-4-2

Post by T-4-2 »

lindah162 wrote:Oh thanks for that, thats great. My ds got 4a last year so i am hoping his results this yr will be 5C and that will be good enough(?!). He is excellent at reading at spelling. Top reading group, but im not sure they stretch him enough as he is reading year 6 books easily. I would say he is 3 yrs ahead reading wise to be honest.

oH and bless your dd2. WEll done to her for trying so hard.
Hi Lindah162. My DC is in year 6 and took the 11+ last September, scoring very, very highly. At the end of year 5 DC was all level 5s, with a reading age well above the actual age, so I think your son will be absolutely fine! :D I would reiterate what inkypinkyponky suggested and tell the school your son will be supplying his own reading books - we did, and the school were absolutely fine about it.
lindah162

Post by lindah162 »

Thanks for the replies.

My ds does take his own reading books in as well as reading school ones. They have free time when they can read what they like and my ds usually takes a book from home or one we have got from our library. At the moment he is reading Going solo by Roahl Dahl, but he reads all sorts. I think i will see what books they put him on next and if they are still too easy then i will do what has been suggested and write a letter
Milla

Post by Milla »

veering off slightly, but what a fantastic book that is! read it years ago and still recall so many details.
thebest

hi

Post by thebest »

hi
its great your son is really good in reading as your going on about but what about maths ?
:D
lindah162

Post by lindah162 »

maths is probably the weakest subject although he is still good! He has improved massively over past yr, so im dying to see his sats results