Year 5 sats results and 11+

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

blue

Year 5 sats results and 11+

Post by blue »

Hi,

daughter will be doing 11+ in Jan 2010. Have just had year 5 sats results and she got straight 5's for all literacy, reading, spelling etc... and 3a for maths which she found a bit more difficult.
Am pretty new to this sats thing so does anyone know if these marks are going to get her through a 11+ exam next year ok?
Thanks.
:)
andyb

Post by andyb »

Hi blue

I think a lot depends on the region you are in and the format of the 11+ there. For verbal reasoning those results are probably OK although the Maths is a little low, for individual English, Maths etc she may struggle on the Maths front. I suggest you post in the specific region forum to get a more knowledgable answer.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Hi Blue

The 5's are really good and the 3a may need a little work. :D
blue

Post by blue »

thanks for advice,
agree maths needs some extra work! :D
Milla

Post by Milla »

presumably for 11+s which are VR questions only, the most important SATs to do well in are the reading ones (comprehension, interpretation, vocab etc)? My boy got a 5 (year 5) in this one - they don't split them into a/b/c etc for a 5 in Y5 at our school. But his maths was 4a. His mental maths is fab so am hoping that will be enough for the maths component of the VR tests. Yes? No?
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Milla - my eldest got a 4a in maths at the end of year 5 (in fact he didn't get a level 5 in anything until year 6). He passed the 11+ by a lot and was a level 8 in maths by year 8. So try not to worry!
thebest

HI

Post by thebest »

hi
the 5's are really good but need to work on the 3 but dont worry!!
just to let you know i dont think the sats dont matter!!
its just the grammer school so dont worry.
bucks mum1

Post by bucks mum1 »

My son too achieved a 4a in Maths in Y5 and a level 5 in Y6. Provided his timetables are quick and his mental maths is good, he should be fine.

My son achieved a good mark in his VR based 11+. Good Luck.
blue

Sats grades in reference to entrance to independents.

Post by blue »

Does anyone know then whether it is common practice to just grade level 5 as a whole as not as 5a, 5b etc... in year 5? :roll:
blue

Sats grades in reference to entrance to independents.

Post by blue »

Does anyone know then whether it is common practice to just grade level 5 as a whole as not as 5a, 5b etc... in year 5? :roll:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now