Torbay Independant Schools?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

urbanprincess

Torbay Independant Schools?

Post by urbanprincess »

Hello, it's very quiet on the Devon forum but I am new and maybe someone may offer some information. DC did not get into the grammar school that was first on our list so we have been offered the local community college by the LEA. It does not have a great reputation and we are seriously considering an independant school. DC has agreed, preferring to go to indie school and in the long term has plans about going to university... It is achievable from a financial point, just, but does anyone have experience of the education system in this area? We are in the Torbay LEA, thanks for any guidance!......
urbanprincess

Post by urbanprincess »

sorry I did mean independent not independant - mother can't spell, child is quite bright really!!!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Urbanprincess and welcome!!

Have you looked at any Indies yet?

problem you may have is that it is getting late in the day for this year (I assume DC is year 6? - is DC a DD or a DS??), so you ned to get on the phone and see where there are places before getting to excited about anywhere - you are considering boarding, which might increase your choice.

Hopefully someone with local knowledge will appear and help you out - let us know how you get on!!
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

Hi urbanprincess (an urban princess in Torbay? Surely lost! :D )

Regrettably the Torbay area is not at all well off for independent secondary schools. Exeter School is probably the best within striking distance, but is likely to be full by now. Blundells in Tiverton is very good indeed - the only place for the county set :wink: - and might just have a place still, but quite a distance. Otherwise you could try Kelly College in Tavistock or Plymouth College.

Apart from that I suspect you'll have to look into boarding. Wellington School in Somerset might be worth a look, it's very strong academically and is just off the M5. It offers weekly (Mon-Fri) boarding at quite a reasonable price, and might just be willing to make an extra place available for a child who is quite bright.

Good luck!
Loopy
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

...oops I should have mentioned some of these schools are age 13 entry, eg for Blundells read Blundells Prep.
A decent prep school which I'm sure would have a place available for a late entrant is St Peter's School near Exeter, though unfortunately on the wrong side of the Exe estuary.

There are of course some schools in Torbay and Teignmouth, if distance is an insurmountable problem.
Loopy
urbanprincess

Independent schools

Post by urbanprincess »

Hello again and thank you for your replies. DC has been offered a place in a lovely local private school so we are going to give it a go. So see you all on the independent forum! :arrow: (off trots 'lost' urbanprincess... :D )
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

That's super news urbanprincess. We hope to see you very soon on the independent thread.
Katie

Torbay Indep

Post by Katie »

Hi Urban Princess.(lost in Torbay) :)

While waiting to move to Churston Grammar School - our child attended Tower House School in Paignton. I cannot speak too highly of this school.
Only criticism (which is hardly the school's fault!) is that class sizes were a little on the small side. Now this suited our child perfectly - helping to develop confidence, brilliant academic support and fantastic discipline and standards maintained. I would thoroughly recommend Tower House School if you are seeking independent education in Torbay.
The schools mentioned by other forum members are no doubt held in high regard - but not practical for a Torbay commute. (I'm assuming you are living in Torbay). If that is the case - then I don't need to tell you to invest in a helicopter if you wish to reach Blundells in time for first lesson. I occasionally attend meetings in that area and it entails a very early start!
Good luck with your search. :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now