Progress in Maths - Year 7

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
asha

Progress in Maths - Year 7

Post by asha »

My daughter went to a very good prep school where she excelled in Maths. I was told time and again she was at the top end. How much of this was due to good teaching or just reinforcements of the same concepts they had been learning from Year 3-4, or a tutor who I had hired for the final year to prepare her for Common Entrance is a moot point. She has always disliked practicing Maths at home to the point of tears but is apparently quite enthusiastic in class.

Anyway, Year 7 in an academic independent senior school is off to a good start. She does well in the early unit tests, but the mid year test and final exam results were above average but no way as well as she used to perform in Year 6. For example, she got 77% in the end of year exam where the highest mark was 92% and the class average was 71%. This is very worrying for me, as Maths always pulled her up, English and the humanities not being her strong subjects. What would you advise? Do you think private tution is the route? Do you think I should wait until Year 8 and see how she fares as this may be a temporary blip, or should I nip it in the bud right now? Again, I would not want her to be dependent on a tutor. It is extremely worrying to think that she may have done well in Year 6 because of her tutor and not a natural ability.

She got a Silver in the Junior Maths Challenge.

She dislikes doing any work at home for Maths, is not particularly fond of number puzzles or doing calculations, but at the mid year Parents' meeting, I was informed she is quick and enthusiastic and is a pleasure to teach.

I would be most grateful for any advice.
solimum

Post by solimum »

It sounds to me as if she is still doing pretty well - presumably many of her classmates were also in the "top end " of their various primary/prep schools, and she is comfortably above average in the class. While it can be straightforward for the well-drilled child to get full marks in primary maths, the senior school will be setting more challenging exams where no one is expected to get 100%. Also she is presumably now doing a wider range of subjects in more depth rather than focussing narrowly on CE topics (though I know nothing about CE). The humanities teachers will be expecting her to progress too, which she may very well do as she matures. Science, Languages, Music, sport, art etc etc - there is plenty to keep her busy and challenge her. If her maths teachers are happy with her, and you are happy with the school (which is presumably costing a lot of money!) why put her under more pressure?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi

have had much the same with a DD who was v good at maths at primary (or were the others not very good???) she wasn't tutored before senior school however. In year 7 at GS I think she is just "OK" - no actual figures to tell exactly - top half of the form etc.
I honestly think she just has not gelled with the teacher - just hoping she gets a new one next year - it's the only question I'll be asking at parents evening!
sp

Post by sp »

Asha you mentioned that her new schoolis academic so you have to remember that she is now surrounded by similarly intelligent girls. This is sometimes a bit daunting for a child who has excelled at primary and is then one of the crowd. Is she bothered by her result or are you comparing with her excellent results previously? She has come out above average in her group so that should be celebrated. Only if she is feeling bad about it (other than not being top like before) would I consider doing anything at all. Year 7 is a tough year in lots of ways so if she is happy then I would hold off until you start to get results in Year 8
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I remeber my daughter getting quite despondent as she felt she wasnot doing so well in maths as she had done.

I spoke to the teacher at parents evening and he explained that she was in a group who were working a year above their cohort. He said that for some of them ( year 8 ) it was the first time they had not been getting full marks. The work was actually targeted to make them think and to stretch them.

Coincidentally , she was also really pleased when she got to grammar school because she was 'like everyone else and no one took the mickey out of her if she put her hand up to answer.'
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Surely a silver in the maths challenge demonstrates that her maths is good?

Surely to STILL be above average, in a cohort that are in an 'academic' environment, is good?

Maybe, and this is nothing against you, you were perhaps used to her coming top and this is what is bothering you?

If her teacher is happy with her work, and you know that your daughter is working hard, I would accept that she is doing well. As has been said, she will be doing so many more subjects now, and all at a higher level than previously.

Try to relax. Unless there is a real concern and she seems to have stopped understanding the work, or is getting upset and SHE feels like she is struggling, then I would assume that all is well.

I hope everything goes well.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now