malkbk

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
malkbk

malkbk

Post by malkbk »

If my son takes the Bucks 11plus exam next year and fails ,I could possibly leave him at his current prep school until he was thirteen. If we then decided to move to Bucks would he be allowed to sit the school entrance exam at that age ?
You can probably tell that I am trying to consider all possibilities!
Barbara
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Barbara

There is both a 12+ & 13+ test. The full procedure is known as Late Transfer, and the guidance notes can be found on the link below.

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/bcc/content/i ... =177570625

Be warned that places are not reserved at schools for children who pass. If a child passes they are offered a place if one is available and they qualify under the same rules as for 11+, i.e. distance from school gates. If a vacant place doesn't come up within a year they lose the right to it.

Also, the chances of getting a place at 13+ are around half that at 12+.

Sally-Anne
malkbk

malkbk

Post by malkbk »

Hi Sally Anne,
What I was meaning is - if he FAILS at 11plus would he be able to try again at 12plus or 13plus.?
Barbara
Jed

Post by Jed »

Barbara

Are you making your life complicated? Is your house move dependent on your son passing the 11+ or for other reasons, such as work? It might be a lot of pressure for your son if he felt that not only his school but the location of the family home depended on the result.

The 12+/13+ is far from an ideal option and is really for Bucks children who are thought to be suitable for GS, even if they originally didn't pass the 11+, or for families who have already moved into the area. You can take the 12+ if you fail the 11+, but generally need the support of your existing school and your application needs to be approved by a panel. The right to take the exam is not automatic. I'm not sure how the 12+ panel would view your request to retake if you still were not living in the area.

I think you need to concentrate on your plans overall and if the 11+ fits into that, go for it, but have a good back-up. Now's not the time to think about what might happen in Year 8 or 9.

Jed

Post by Guest »

You took the words (or something similar) out of my mouth Jed.

JuliaB
hugh

Re: malkbk

Post by hugh »

malkbk wrote:If my son takes the Bucks 11plus exam next year and fails ,I could possibly leave him at his current prep school until he was thirteen. If we then decided to move to Bucks would he be allowed to sit the school entrance exam at that age ?
You can probably tell that I am trying to consider all possibilities!
Whether he passes or fails, he won't get a place if you live in Sunbury.
And if you move to Bucks, presumably staying at prep in Sunbury won't be an option (or does he board?)
malkbk

malkbk

Post by malkbk »

Thanks for all your input. I understand why you have made the comments you have made. Without going into too much detail and background the facts are these:-

Son is being privately educated -I can't afford to continue this into secondary .Priority is to get him into a good Grammar school. I have friends in Amersham so it seemed a good idea to consider that area.
I am prepared to move house to get him into a good school.
In order to take the 11plus we do not have to be resident.To be in the first allocation we have to be resident by around Dec 15th next year.I am able to buy a small house for us to move to in order to satisfy the Dec deadline without burning all bridges by selling our own house.If everything then works out ,will sell both and buy our new home.
My problems start if said son does not pass the exam.I am trying to gather all the facts before buying a house,hence previous posts re Upper schools.
Barbara
Jed

Post by Jed »

Hello Barbara

Be careful about trying to be too clever with residency. If all your family are still living in Sunbury on December 15, the county might not accept that the Bucks house is your primary residence.

I think you and your family are going to have to make a decision about the move one way or the other. Cake can't be had and eaten very easily. Don't forget also that there are very good schools that aren't grammars. It still seems to me a lot of pressure on a 10 year old to know that everyone's life plans depend on their result in one test!

Jed
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I agree with Jed - I know places have been taken from parents 'pretending' to live in the catchment area.

I would suggest to move to somewhere with a good Upper or Comprehensive nearby.
usa

Post by usa »

Hallo Barbara
I sympathise with your situation. If your son is going to prep school around Sunbury, would that mean next stop, Hampton School? Are you too far from Tiffin Boys or Sutton Boys? What about the Berkshire schools, ie Reading and Slough? Yes - Bucks has a lot of grammar schools and he needs to pass 2x VR to get in. Will his current prep school help you with that or are they going for the CE exam?
Good for you for going to great lengths to get all your info early, but look around locally too. You have a lot of time to trawl around - so do it. There are lots of options open to you by the sound of it. I too am interested in RGS - be interested to hear any comments.
Good luck and keep looking!
USA
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now