Further maths additional

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
T.i.p.s.y

Further maths additional

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Can anyone tell me what this is and if it counts as a full A'level in the same way Further Maths does?
solimum

Post by solimum »

There are I believe 18 maths A level modules available - usually 6 are put together to make the first Maths A level, the next 6 become Further Maths and the remaining 6 could be combined as a full "Additional Further Maths" Al level (AFM) or three of them as an AFM AS level. There are rules about which ones can be combined but (unless a current Maths teacher has newer information) that's how I understand the system which my son took last summer (he did the 2 full plus one AS option, studying for the extra 3 modules in his own time with support from the school)
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I would be quite wary of attempting 3 A Levels in Maths as it might be considered too narrow in terms of university applications, unless you are able to do 2 other A Levels at the same time which would be a hard task for many students.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

LFH, what normally happens is if you are very able in maths, the time it takes to get all 3 Math A'levels is the same time it would take to get one so you would have 3 Maths A'levels and 2 or 3 other A'levels, so effectively 5-6 A'levels.
Looking for help

Yes I understand that Tipsy, but I still don't think that having 3 is worth the effort, especially if you do become a bit unstuck, as it might effect the quality of your other A Levels - better to play an instrument or show some interest in extra curricular activity that will differentiate you from the rest of the applicants, I'd have thought.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

But it doesn't encroach on any of your time. You just happen to pick up the subjects in the math class quickly and move on. There is no extra timetabling to sit 3 so if you played an instrument it wouldn't affect your studies.
Looking for help

Yes you are right again, I just think it is too much maths, I also think it the universities will not be interested in any more that 4 A Levels (excluding General Studies), so again, why bother ?
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I think its necessary if you want to study Maths at Oxbridge. Oxbridge take the 3 A'levels and count them as one. Further Maths is often expected for Physics and Engineering at Oxbridge too.
Looking for help

Yes, thats the trouble - they are still counted as one, but I am sure that three maths A Levels are not necessary - not all schools offer them.
So back to your original question, I don't think they are individually stand alone A Levels in terms of application to university, however they might be advised for certain courses.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I can pretty much guarantee that you will not get into Oxbridge to study Maths without further maths so unfortunately it is necessary.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now