*** Advertising Censored *** papers

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
jellybaby

*** Advertising Censored *** papers

Post by jellybaby »

Can anybody tell me where these fit in, difficulty-wise, within Patricia's recommended order of practice papers? I've just completed the IPS series with my DD, and have **********, the Tutors, Bright Sparks and GL Assessment yet to do, but don't know where to slot in the ********** ones.

Thanks
jellybaby

Post by jellybaby »

It appears that my last message was censored! I was not trying to advertise, just asking an opinion!
moved

Post by moved »

The censored papers are at the top end. I would only recommend them in sections for practice or extra papers for a bright hard worker. They are quite good for the very cocky as they show that there is still some way to go!
jellybaby

Post by jellybaby »

Thanks for that - so are they on a par with the GL Assessment papers then?
Milla

Post by Milla »

this censoring of some types, while allowing other types to slip through (same with Kumon being mentionable) is maddening!!! like an itch you can't scratch.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I know this is frustrating, but here are a few points that may help:

1. There is a very, very small number of names that are not allowed mentions on the Forum for absolutely specific reasons. I can't go into details, but you just have to accept our decision.

2. More generally, the advertising ban is in place to prevent blatant touting for business by tutors or authors about whom we may know little or nothing. We do feel it is important not to allow potentially poor quality materials or services to be advertised on here, and as a team of volunteers we can't check them all. We do usually allow genuine mentions of non-commercial websites though, because we can check those in a few moments. We always try to allow them if possible.

3. When it comes to nationally-known names such as Kumon, there is little point in banning them. They are most unlikely to benefit from the odd mention on here, and as often as not, mentions of Kumon produce the "Marmite response" - those who love it, those who hate it - which doesn't really benefit Kumon a whole lot. Other nationally known names, such as major publishers (e.g. Letts, Dorling Kindersley) are usually allowed as well. After all, there is very little point in trying to ban names like that!

4. Mentions of other products and services, not related to the 11+ are very much decided on a case-by-case basis. We recently had a lengthy thread about looking after guinea pigs, where we allowed links to commercial pet care websites simply because they were posted in answer to a genuine request by a long-standing Forum member. Similarly, we recently had a helpful thread on sun tan products and products to prevent mozzy bites. Likewise household names such as M&S, Boots, Google, etc are allowed - again, there is just no reason to ban them.

5. There is quite a lengthy list of websites and words that are blocked because they have been associated with spam postings in the past. If you discover one of those and would like the ban lifted, let a Mod know and we will discuss it. The spam problem we used to have has all but disappeared because of more effective software and since we became "members only".

So, in summary, the situation is a judgement call by the Mods, and we try to apply common sense. The overall aim is to maintain a high quality Forum, where members can come for reliable advice and suggestions, not dodgy rubbish.

We have occasionally tried to review the overall policy on advertising, but none of us have the time to draft something that covers all eventualities, so we just sweep up the occasional problem.

Hope that helps you understand it further?

Sally-Anne
Milla

Post by Milla »

I totally understand and commend your fine work! I moderate on another site and now the importance of overall fairness, exercising discipline etc, general guidelines and so on.
It was just getting to it too late and being in a nosy sad frenzy to wonder what it was. Off to get self a life. :arrow:
moved

Post by moved »

jellybaby wrote:Thanks for that - so are they on a par with the GL Assessment papers then?
No they are harder than GL papers. The GL papers are similar to the tutors middle range.
jellybaby

Post by jellybaby »

Thanks - I think I'll put them to the bottom of the pile for now - don't want to terrify DD!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now