Hockey sticks

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
coolmum123

Hockey sticks

Post by coolmum123 »

Hi all,

I wonder if someone could advise please. DS starts indie in sept and we need to get a hockey stick for him. Could anyone let me know of a good make with a reasonable price please? What sort of things do I need to know about hockey sticks when I am buying them ie price range, sturdyiness (is that a word) etc.

Ta V muchly in advance!!
andyb

Post by andyb »

If you got to a "proper" sports shop they will measure your son for a stick & suggest one according to how much hockey he is going to play & to what standard. Don't expect to pay less than £20/£25 for an entry level stick. Alternatively at the supermarket type sports shop (sport & soccer / j j b etc) you can pick up a stick for less than £10 - but you get what you pay for - usually a wooden stick, which is not as hardwearing and heavier than composite/carbon fibre - but perfectly adequate for a once a week games lesson. Popular makes Mercian, Grays, Slazenger.
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

This was discussed last year. Have a go at a search.

But my recommendation...

http://www.milletsports.co.uk/productmore.php?pid=11967
Animis opibusque parati
Just1-2go

Post by Just1-2go »

As well as a hockey stick please get your DC a gumshield, my DD knocked another girl's front tooth last term!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Master yoyo shattered the bone in his little finger and the knuckles refereeing a hockey match (he couldn;t play because he had broken his ankle!)
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

yoyo123 wrote:Master yoyo shattered the bone in his little finger and the knuckles refereeing a hockey match (he couldn;t play because he had broken his ankle!)
Double ouch :cry:
zorro

Post by zorro »

DS was in school team (Y7) and was advised to get composite stick.We got a Gray's one which was about £60.
All good schools should do gum shield fitting where company comes to school and does moulds , later delivering custom made gum shield. DS's school had OPro gum shields.
Freya

Post by Freya »

DS is very into hockey and his y6 school team are going to be competing in the national schools finals on Friday! :shock: An amazing achievement given that the school is fairly small - only one y6 class of 30 children.

Having watched the standard of hockey in these kids and also bearing in mind that they play on astro these days not grass, I would say that shin guards are an absolute necessity too! the speed and strength they can hit that ball is scary!

I would also go for a carbon fibre or composite stick as wooden ones are heavy in comparison and in DSs (state & not at all posh) school, kids with wooden sticks are made fun of :roll:
coolmum123

Post by coolmum123 »

hi all,

thx for all the replies - it has enlightened me loads!! DS is having gum shield fitted at school and we are going to get shin pads - i take it any shin pads will do? as long as they do the job or are they specific to the type of sports?

kind regards
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Please can you stick Jolly in your title thread? Image