Anyone help?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Joanne

Anyone help?

Post by Joanne »

Does anyone know how they mark the 11+ papers?
Is it right that they average the marks out, say for instance the maths paper is worth 40 marks and the average mark for the 5000 or so kids is 25/40 that will equate to 100 points, so if a child gets say 30/40 on the maths paper they will get 110 points (this is just a guess as i haven't a clue how they work it) and if a child gets 20/40 on the maths they will get 90 points, and so on!
This is done for all 3 papers. so the average score would be 300 points??? Does anyone know what a child needs to get to gain a place in a grammar school ( i know they all vary)

Not sure if this is at all correct, but just what i have heard, it may all be completely wrong, any information would be well appreciated.

Hope everyone is well and not getting too stressed with the old christmas shopping :)

Joanne
Karen

Post by Karen »

Hello Joanne, hope you are well, too. Done most of my Christmas shopping on the internet (however did I cope before the internet!!).

Anyway, back to your original question: I haven't a clue, sorry, but would like to know for myself. This is the biggest mystery surrounding the 11+. What you're saying does look possible. I will watch this space with interest.....

K :D
Joanne

Post by Joanne »

Hi my dear, im glad you are ready for christmas, i only have a few to buy for, which is not bad for me, i'm usually rushing around the shops xmas eve like a headless chicken!!
Shame you don't know how the marking goes for the 11+, there must be someone out there that does???

Joanne :shock:
Bo Peep

standardised scores

Post by Bo Peep »

Joanne your post was the first thing I have ever read on standardised scores that actually made sense to me ...then I went and spoiled it by thinking about it too much during the day and confused myself again! :oops:

Over the years I've occasionally decided I will get my head around this - and even went to the nfer website for a real education on it (ouch!)...it would be nice to understand it properly. I think your assumptions must be right though, or at least very close to it.
Joanne

Post by Joanne »

Bo peep, hello. I hope you are right, and i'm glad i made sense, because sometimes i wonder if i actually make any sense at all to be quite frank!

Lets hope my theory is right and i'm not just a total loser.......anyone else have views on this? (not on me being a loser, but on 11+ marking :oops: )
Shrimpergarry

Post by Shrimpergarry »

Hi Joanne

The explanation of standardised scores is here:

http://www.nfer.ac.uk/research-areas/as ... -ranks.cfm

As far as I can make out (and it's nearly 20 years since I did any statistics!), if a child scores the average in each test then they will be allocated a mark of 100. I am assuming therefore that the average standardised score will be 400 (i.e. maths + english + 2xVR).

All scores will then be standardised either side of this 100 average using standard deviation (don't ask me to explain this!) with the maximum score being 140 and the minimum being 70.

The link above shows standardised scores compared with percentile ranks, given that KEGS (for instance) takes 112 boys from about 800 applicants (I think) you would need to be in the top 14% of applicants to get in, which is the equivalent of a standardised score of 116 out of 140 (when compared with an average of 100) or I suppose 464 out of 560 (when the average is 400).

I think that's clearer although I may have just confused myself (and others) even more! Can anyone confirm standardised scores for their kids last year? Had a quick search through the forums and couldn't find any to coroborate my maximum 560 theory.
Joanne

Post by Joanne »

Hi Garry, did you put 2xVR because it is worth double the marks of the other 2 papers, because you are confusing me now!
I looked at the page regarding standardised scores and it just sounds like a bunch of old cobblers to me :oops: Don't understand a word of it, straight over my head. Which is why i came up with my theory you see, to make it easier for myself and other people to understand a bit better but I'm not sure if I've made it any easier to be honest.
Not sure about this standard deviation thing either, maybe Garry could explain it to us all :shock: (I bet you want to really!)

Oh the joys of the 11+ :wink:
Shrimpergarry

Post by Shrimpergarry »

Joanne wrote:Hi Garry, did you put 2xVR because it is worth double the marks of the other 2 papers, because you are confusing me now!
That's exactly why I put 2xVR - see, you're not too confused really!
Joanne wrote:Not sure about this standard deviation thing either, maybe Garry could explain it to us all :shock: (I bet you want to really!)
:shock: Err..... I think I need the toilet!
Karen

Post by Karen »

If you can explain standard deviations, and get me to understand it, you deserve a medal!!
Shrimpergarry

Post by Shrimpergarry »

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now