Design project for 4 year old (really for parents!)

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Chelmsford mum

Design project for 4 year old (really for parents!)

Post by Chelmsford mum »

I hate these kind of letters from school :evil:

" blah blah your child.. design and technology project...... your child](HA!) will be designing and making a hat for the summer picnic which parents are attending so can't pretend to forget it/ arrange for cat to eat it)...... I have enclosed a piece of sugar paper(wowee )"

So.. reception child and a hat to make for Summer picnic.I seem to be surrounded by mummies who don't work and have their first child at the school so will obviously produce wonderful Ascot worthy creations.

I don't have the time to do anything wonderful and am useless at art and craft but don't want poor little one to look a nit wit either.
Please help me :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Will be in your debt forever
clarendon

Post by clarendon »

Hi your post brought back memories of the annual Easter bonnet making when kids were in nursery! Their dad is a paramedic so we usually resorted to the vomit bowls... those cardboard type things .. not sure they're still available!! We covered them with crepe paper and various Easter things like chicks etc and no one ever caught on.

Happy craft time!!

clarendon
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Thanks :cry: I'll keep an eye out for vomit bowls then :lol:

Has anyone else done this type of task before or know any websites?
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Try typing in "free printable paper hat templates" into google.
Igglepiggle

Post by Igglepiggle »

Not sure if it's for a boy or girl. An easy idea for a girl is the mediaeval princess type ie witch hat shaped cone with chiffon scarf coming from point at top. Can be decorated with anything Summery - stickers, stampers, pressed flowers etc. Have fun!
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Did try that Tipsy but can only find party hats.
They are supposed to be " incorporating elements of design appropriate to a sun hat". I think they mean a brim and the flap at the back for the neck. :?

I wonder if I could somehow put a brim on a princess hat.... see told you i was rubbish at this :roll:
Igglepiggle

Post by Igglepiggle »

Sounds like vomit bowl is your best bet then, otherwise an upside down large paper party bowl - you can always stick on an extra ring to make a bigger brim. A big wide ribbon tied under chin for the Mary Poppins look.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Chinese hat.

Just a large circle with straight line cut to the center. Should be wide and will keep off the sun. 8)
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Thanks igglepiggle and mitasol :)

I think I might be able to manage one of those.I just don't think in the right way for these sort of tasks..Should have watched more "Blue peter".

Thanks again :)
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Commiserations CM - I understand your plight - I'd almost be tempted to keep my child at home on that day as I have absolutely no artistic bones in my body. The one time I did put a lot of effort into making something was a Roman shield - and we got told off because we didn't use the right colour of paint for the decorating :lol:

I like the Chinese hat , it might be quite easy to make - good luck and post us a photo of your creation :lol:

LFH
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now