Bond - Secrets of Comprehension

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Rose petal

Bond - Secrets of Comprehension

Post by Rose petal »

I am thinking of getting this book to try to improve my DD comprehension skills. We are working towards the Warwickshire 11+ this October. Has anyone used it, is it any good?

Does anyone have any alternatives they could suggest?

Thanks

Rose Petal
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

What I did with my son (last year) was to visit the websites of many independent schools. I was able to print many comprehensions that they were using as samples. Obviously you won't see a mark scheme or the answers, but they are good practise.
He only did one, as his heart wasn't really in it, but i would recommend them.
honscupboard

Post by honscupboard »

Hi
Have only just bought this, but ds has been through the first 25 pages and done the paper within that. It has helped to slow him down and break down the reading into logical stages, ie actually taking in the words rather than skimming them. It also has loads on grammar and punctuation. So far so good! Will keep you posted.
rosered100

Post by rosered100 »

Hi,

On this website http://www.emaths.co.uk/KS2SAT.htm#English they have the marking schemes which are more useful than the actual papers IMO. They tell you the differences for instance between a 1, 2 or 3 mark answer with examples. The higher marks are gained by referring to language used in the text.
DS has great trouble doing this more advanced style of answer where you need to say how someone felt & give references. We are going to work through them together so he can get the idea & also I ask him about things we see on tv - why do you think they did that, what would you do, how would you feel in that situation etc.

rosered
Rose petal

Post by Rose petal »

Thanks for the replies so far. The link looks great.
kamrienlorrry

Post by kamrienlorrry »

Thanks a million. Very useful indeed. I've taken a quick look at the links and I think this could be quite an interesting path to follow. Once again thankyou very much.
Welcome 2010
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now