A v worried mum, what would you do?? Swine flu

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

essex-mum18

A v worried mum, what would you do?? Swine flu

Post by essex-mum18 »

Hi

Just received an email from DS school to report that there is a confirmed case of swine flu in y8. My son is in y7. I have read the information booklet about swine flu from the government.

But with the recent cases of the 6 yr old and the GP. It worries me a lot.

Will you let your child go to school although the school is advised to remain opened? There are only 2.5 days before the summer holiday starts.

I know I have to make that decision. Your view, as parents would be very welcome.

Worried mum
zee

Re: A v worried mum, what would you do?? Swine flu

Post by zee »

Yes, I would, and I have.

Quite a few cases in S Bucks, including at least one confirmed and several unconfirmed at DC's school.

The thing is, it's now reached the stage where they're just as likely to get it in the library, McDonald's or their mates' homes as school, so avoiding school isn't very relevant unless you're going to live in a bunker - and even then you could get it from the Tesco driver who delivers your groceries!

Remember, despite the latest two deaths (details still being investigated), for most people, it's a relatively mild strain; it's the geographical spread that makes it newsworthy, not the severity (even "ordinary" flu kills thousands each year).
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi

Just received an e-mail myself about a case at DDs school.

Answer is CARRY ON as normal. It is just one of those things - we are exposed to dangers every day.
I'm off to work on 2 hours to work as a GP knowing that a GP died yesterday of the disease but my epidemiologist mind tells me that the worls wide death rate so far is 0.05% which is LESS than the usual winter flu (500 in a million cases). It is not stopping any of us working.

I have seen several children TERRIFIED by the thought that they have swine flu and I feel that the press has blown this up and made them scared.

Every winter we offer vaccine to people and they will give any excuse not to have it for a disease with a higher death rate. Presumably this year will be different.

Herman
essex-mum18

Post by essex-mum18 »

Thank you, Zee and Herman for your quick response.

My son just arrived home and appeared rather worried. He told me that he overheard the teachers said something about tamiflu. I tried to give him the reassurance by talking about it and showing him how to reduce the risks by reading the information booklet together.

It is worrying when you know your child is worried.
andyb

Post by andyb »

We were notified of case at DS's school last week. Both of them have continued at school as normal. We were not told which year group the affected child was in - of course there are several children away for a variety of reasons every day and inevitably their classmates assume they have swine flu - most probably don't :wink: . As zee says unless you are going to live your life in a bubble you are just as likely to come into contact with the virus in your everyday life as the children are at school. I know of 1 parent who kept their child away from nursery when a case of swine flu was confirmed, but they have major plans for the summer so for them it was a sensible precaution. I would carry on as normal unless you or your DC has underlying health issues.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

always find it difficult when people try to avoid an illness because they have something on in the summer - very tricky to avoid it and you usually catch these things from the least likely source ie not the person who you knew had it but someone you didn't realise had it.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I suggest carrying on as normal - but DO have a talk about basic hygiene.

My husband has had it over the last week, although he is recovering now, and we have not caught it (yet anyway).

It could be anywhere. But I do understand exactly how you feel.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

We were advised of 3 cases in our kids' school last week ("I bet it's Y3 boys, they never wash their hands after going to the toilet" according to Master 1880), we're still sending them. Not much point doing anything else - they'll be mixing with a dizzying number of different groups in the next three weeks (school, holiday club, play scheme, Brownie camp, trip to relatives) so they could get it from anywhere. I sort of expect us all to go down with it just as we're due to set off on holiday...

Mike
Alex

Post by Alex »

Several cases in DD's school including one in her class. School is following the advice and carrying on as normal as are we! Can't go into hiding for the next goodness knows how many months.
Lady.in.blue

Post by Lady.in.blue »

I feel your worry.

My daugther came home with a letter today explaining a pupil from her school has Swine flu. :shock:

We're also worried as someone from her new school has swine flu too!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I think that your son should be fine for anouther 2.5 days but make sure he washes his hands often. You could ask the school to buy hand sanatisers for use of pupils by doors and toilets and things like that.