UKCAT

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
jemima

UKCAT

Post by jemima »

please,
Does anyone know about UKCAT scores? What sort of scores do the top universities look for? Thanks
KenR

Post by KenR »

Best to take a look at the new media medicine forum medicine sites - they have some excellent information (and some rubbish posts as well!)

http://www.newmediamedicine.com/forum/ukcat/

My DD is taking her UKCAT at the end of Aug - it's expensive!!! I was shocked.

Regards

Ken
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

My sister has experience of this and is now at the end of her 3rd year at Newcastle. She offers lots of advice on new media medicine, but I concur with KenR - not all info is useful on it!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

KenR wrote:Best to take a look at the new media medicine forum medicine sites - they have some excellent information (and some rubbish posts as well!)

http://www.newmediamedicine.com/forum/ukcat/

My DD is taking her UKCAT at the end of Aug - it's expensive!!! I was shocked.

Regards

Ken
believe me - cheap for a medical exam! the postgrads end up at £1200 upwards - then a fee to join the college after you have passed the exam and then an annual fee to stay joined up (min £400 / yr).
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I've not seen these practice tests before - think I'll give it a go... probably get an awful score and realise I'll never get into medical school.
jemima

Post by jemima »

Thanks, yes I found the medical forums useful. My DS did his yesterday and I now know he appears to have done well so relieved. Thanks
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Good luck to your DS - where is he applying?

I had a go at the practice tests earlier :shock: :shock: - started on the full test but as I have the attention span of a gnat these days I settled for the short test - very interesting and testing, glad to see that they have brought in something other than A levels.
Also had a look at the BMAT which I think was a better test but probably because it suited me better. :wink:
jemima

Choices

Post by jemima »

yep DS has to do BMAT too. He is applying to Liverpool (Not UKCAT or BMAT) Manchester (UKCAT) Imperial (London) and Oxford (BMAT) Fall back chemistry Sussex or Reading. Quite a diverse range. Off abroad (developing country) for charity work tomorrow - I'm nervous, he isn't
Jem
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

hermanmunster wrote:Good luck to your DS - where is he applying?

I had a go at the practice tests earlier :shock: :shock: - started on the full test but as I have the attention span of a gnat these days I settled for the short test - very interesting and testing, glad to see that they have brought in something other than A levels.
Also had a look at the BMAT which I think was a better test but probably because it suited me better. :wink:
I scored 79% on the short UKCAT practice test - would have got more, but they had got one of the answers wrong themselves, so marked my correct answer wrong! Do you think that was good HM (considering I got turned down by all the medical schools I applied to in 1970s!)
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

sounds good to me! med school application in the 70's was a different ball game - really little info about what was required or expected. Much more open these days. Also about where to apply - tended to be the ones witht he nicest prospectus!
I went in '78 and had already got A levels - got into 2 med schools and the others never replied.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now