Can state schooled children get into independent/grammar sch

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

simone powell

Can state schooled children get into independent/grammar sch

Post by simone powell »

My daughter is predicted to gain level 5's in all her subjects for her coming sats - my thoughts are will this be good enough for independent or grammar schools.

Is anyone in this situation? :roll:

The schools we are looking at are in the borough of Ealing, Harrow and Barnet (grammar for barnet).
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

there are a lot of people posting on here who send their kids from state primary school to state grammar school - in fact the majority of kids at grammar schools are from state schools.
I think some would argue that in certain areas of the country there is an advantage in getting in if the child has been at an independent primary - I don't have the info so don't know if and where this is definitely so .

re independent senior schools - these vary hugely in the applicationn process and requirements.
The disadvantage that a child from a state school would have over a child from an independent prep would be that the prep is VERY interested in getting children into the senior school and is much more likely to prepare them appropriately (because they have done it lots of times before) than the state school. You need the advice if people who have used tutors and know the schools you are aiming at - probably need to give some info on which schools you have in mind
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Simone

I suggest that you post back under the relevant County/ part of the country, and for the schools you are hoping your child will attend. In most areas you will get a wealth of experience from other parents

Hermanmunster

I have been really longing for an excuse to tell you how great I think your user name is! :lol:

Sally-Anne
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Thanks!!

Must get the bolt through my neck oiled - it keeps squeaking when I turn round!! :wink:
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

Our eldest daughter has been state educated all the way through, mixed primary and comprehensive, and has just received an offer from Magdalene College Oxford - a place that even the top pupils from independents and grammars find difficult to get into.

So it is possible!

Geoffrey
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

Our eldest daughter has been state educated all the way through, mixed primary and comprehensive, and has just received an offer from Magdalene College Oxford - a place that even the top pupils from independents and grammars find difficult to get into.

So it is possible!

Geoffrey
simone powell

can state schooled children get into indepen/grammar school

Post by simone powell »

Thanks for all your responses and encouragement - I do hope so; she is a bright little girl and have a great future. If only she knew it.
simone powell

Post by simone powell »

This is a question for Geoffery - what did your daughter get in her sats?

Simone
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

Hi Simone

Our daughter achieved:

KS1: level 3s in Maths/Science and level 4 in English (in those days schools had the option of letting high-achievers take the KS2 paper as well). (This was in a tiny state primary with 60 pupils only - one infant and one junior class)

KS2: level 5s in Maths/Science/English (don't remember if we were given any sub-divisions, but English teacher did tell her she was one mark off a level 6!).

AND HERE'S THE SHOCK: FAILED THE 11-PLUS!! ('It's a pointless exam, Dad')

KS3: level 8 in Maths & level 7 in everything else.

GCSE: 10 A* and 1A

AS: 5 A grades

Offers so far to read English and Spanish from Oxford, Bristol, Durham, Warwick, Nottingham. (I'm beginning to sound like the OTT proud parent!)

We (and the comp) realise she is right at the top of the tree – we have other children who are good but not THAT good!. She has friends both in state grammars and comps who have done very well also. And she's a well-rounded character with friends of both genders with many different backgrounds.

We'd like to think that if you have a determined and bright child and make sure the school of whatever type is a good one, they will usually do well. If you compare the grades of our daughter's comp overall with a grammar or independent it will not seem favourable, but if you compare the top 25% (a fairer comparison I think) the picture changes entirely.

I like to think our daughter's story is encouraging, although it doesn't shoe the 11 Plus in a very favourable light!

Geoffrey
Bo Peep

Post by Bo Peep »

Just out of interest Geoffrey - was your daughter coached for the 11+?

Also...which papers did she take, VR, NVR, English, Maths....?

My interest is that I am convinced the 11+ doesn't show true ability (in academic terms) unless all children have an equal amount of coaching or no coaching whatsoever.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now