AHS - year 8 will be 6 over PAN

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
dejavu

AHS - year 8 will be 6 over PAN

Post by dejavu »

We found out on Saturday that DD won her 12+ transfer appeal to AHS. I was impressed that despite us not receiving the official allocation letter from admissions, the school contacted me yesterday to arrange for her to spend the day there today. And we managed to sign everything and get the whole uniform too.

Next year's head of year 8 had a meeting with us. There should have been 6 children at the meeting (although one didn't turn up). He said all six classes will have 31 children in, making a total of 186. So I am assuming that 6 won their appeals. They haven't had this many for a long time!

She was so excited that she tripped and cut her leg and hand just as we were nearing the door - so her first experience at her new school was the first aid room. Even so, she was still smiling....... I'll let everyone know how she got on.
many thanks
dejavu
Ambridge

Post by Ambridge »

Sorry about DD's grand entrance :o but big pat on the back to AHS for moving so fast to get her familiarised with the school, very thoughtful of them, I bet you are both relieved.

And Speedy Gonzalez you for organising her uniform etc in such a short time - your evening glass of wine tonight will be well earned.

Look forward to hearing she has had a ball - I bet the head is cursing that Appeals Panel!!

Ambridge x
Fernhillbilly

Post by Fernhillbilly »

First of all well done on winning two appeals and I wish your daughter all the best at AHS!

I'm curious to know what will happen now with the place that you didn't take up at SHF, as I have a good friend who did appeals for both schools but was unsuccessful in both. Does anyone know whether this place can be reallocated?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

No the place cannot be allocated as they are over PAN - could ask to go on a waiting list though ... we don't know how many appeals were won and how many actually took up places.
dejavu

Post by dejavu »

Yes, Guest55 is quite right - the SHF place cannot be reallocated. I am so sorry about your friend's disappointment. She would have been in the same position as me - not knowing if her SHF appeal had been upheld before going into the AHS one or vice versa.

One of the parents of the successfull 12+ girls at AHS said that the school told him on Monday that 7 appeals had been upheld, so presumably one of them had changed their minds about going to AHS (as there are now 6 of them) - perhaps they won another appeal, say for RLS, which was their first preference. He also heard that there were 11 appeals for AHS. Although we were told by Bucks CC that there were 14 initially, but some had dropped out (we were told 4), so they had to bring some appeals forward. Either way, that is quite a good success rate!

Anyway, DD is back home, and thoroughly enjoyed her day. She said "Oh, it was such fun, and such a relaxed atmosphere" (perhaps they are demob happy, and the school is half empty). So glad she has had this intro day. She is now prancing around in the school's tracksuit top as it's so "cool".
many thanks
dejavu
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now