english results

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

english results

Post by 40 »

dd got L4 for writing & L5 for reading but overall english result is L5. Does that mean that the two are added together to make one overall english score of (I guess a 5c?) She has to give her results to her new school. How will they view the L4? does that mean she will maybe be in a lower set then if the writing was a L5?

Thanks for advise
andyb

Post by andyb »

DS also got L4 for writing and L5 for reading - as predicted :wink: His overall level is 4 because the scores are added together and his cumulative score was just short of a L5.

The HT at his new school (a Bucks grammar) said at new parents evening that the SAT's results have absolutely no bearing on how the boys are treated when they start - there is no setting to begin with. His view was so many schools do nothing but SAT's revision that the levels boys achieve may not have very much bearing on their actual ability. The approach may be different at Upper schools or Comps where the ability range is much wider.

I shouldn't worry what set your DD is put into - if she is finding things too easy/difficult I'm sure she will be moved - these things are not set in stone.

Post by 40 »

thanks andyb,

good luck to your son at grammar xx
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

DS is at all-boys GS in Bucks and they don’t set for anything for first 2 years. Teachers took absolutely NO notice of SATs results whatsoever.

DD is going to local secondary modern in Sept and they set almost straight away (half-term, I believe). We’ve been told sets will be based on 11+ scores, SATs results, reading age and report from school (hopefully academic – HT hates us because of the amount of fuss we’ve made :lol: )

But DD’s school only looks at overall result, not the breakdown.

HTH
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Very few schools set in English so I would not worry -
ConcernedMum

English results

Post by ConcernedMum »

My son also got 4 for Writing, 5 for everything else and overall. As only 20% got 5s for writing and 30% for English overall suspect this is quite common. (for his school it was 30% for writing, 55%ish overall)
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I would also add - have the school checked the results to make sure they are correct? Our school have returned all English papers to be remarked, after checking them themselves. They reckon at least 10 marks more should have been awarded for most of the papers, and in the worst case a high level 4 paper was actually graded as level 3 :shock:
Sadly the remarked papers are unlikely to be back before before October by which time the children will all have started in their new schools who will have been informed of the scores as published now.
skeggy

Post by skeggy »

Our son got a 4 for writing and 5 for reading graded 5 overall! I think the fact so many other children find themselves in a similar situation proves that Sats are a pointless exercise, and only cause children to worry as the tests approach and in this case feel they have failed later!

Post by 40 »

Thank you all for your replies & words of wisdom!

It would seem lots of children get 4 for writing but 5 overall. Thanks for your comments L.F.H. but as dd has always been weak at spelling I suspect the score is fair :)

best wishes for all your little ones in september, Enjoy the hols x
ConcernedMum

Post by ConcernedMum »

Yes, I'm sure my son's scores are fair (and in fact at the top end of what he was predicted - he was never going to get a 5 for writing) but the school has very consistent results of 65%ish 5s for everything except writing which is 30ish, which looks a bit odd.... Boys in general really do not like creative writing, do they?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now