Americans in England

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Question for Etienne

Americans in England

Post by Question for Etienne »

Dear Etienne,
My husband and I feel really positive about how we will present our case to the appeal board, but we're curious if the fact that we're both Americans will have any impact on the board. We wondered if we should tell the board that our daughter was born here and we have recently been granted a permanent living permit. We didn't know if they would think being Americans we probably wouldn't stay here forever. Is this an issue we need to present at our appeal?
Thank you,
Nervous Mother
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear "Americans in England"

No, I don't see this as an issue.

If this is a Buckinghamshire selection appeal, there are just two criteria (extenuating circumstances and academic evidence), and the panel would be wrong to take account of any other factors such as the length of time you intend to stay here.

If they note your accent, they might possibly inquire about your daughter's background ("How long has she been here?"), but they would be trying to be helpful, - they would be wondering if she had been disadvantaged in any way at the 11+, and exploring possible extenuating circumstances.

If the panel raise the issue, by all means explain the situation, but it is not something you need worry about.

Regards
Etienne

Post by Guest »

p.s Americans in England

What's the reason for moving to England ? Just curious.

Me and My wife are looking at moving to USA.. I really am losing all interest here.
Nervous Mother

Living in England

Post by Nervous Mother »

We've lived in England for 8 years and have recently been given living permits to stay here permanently. We love England. We have a house in the U.S. that we visit during the summers to see our family, but our hearts are in the good old U.K. Sure everything is more expensive and we still can't use our hosepipe, but we love our friends here and living so close to Europe makes holidays fantastic. Good luck with your choice!