A long and emotional journey

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

A Very worried Mum

A long and emotional journey

Post by A Very worried Mum »

Dearest All,

I have followed, gained advice and read pretty much everything on this wonderful forum for a couple of years now. I therefore thought I would tell you about our 'journey' as it has only just ended.

Our Daughter sat her 11+ in 2007 and got 117 in both tests. She was number 2 on the class list and was exceptionally highly recommended for Grammar School by her Head Teacher/Teachers. We went to appeal but we were unsuccessful. We were absolutely devastated. I can honestly say that it felt like our World felt apart. Our Daughter was inconsolable.

We made the very difficult decision, as a family, to send our Daughter to private school as we were offered the worst possible Secondary School in our area. She would have been eaten alive! Before our Daughter started year 7 she was adamant she would sit her 12+. Sally-Ann had advised that this was an option but when we were unsuccessful at the 11+ appeal - the 12+ seemed a million miles away.

However, our Daughter started year 7 in a local Private School and sat her 12+. To say that we were delighted when she passed is an under-statement! We had the party we had hoped to have had the previous year!

However, we were not offered the Grammar School which was our first choice. It had always been our dream and choice for our Daughter to attend a Girls School. It probably sounds as if we were ungrateful which could not be further from the truth! However, having been to one appeal for the 11+ we thought we would give it a go for the Grammar School of our choice. We went to appeal and we were successful. All of a sudden it all seemed like a dream. I am unable to tell you all just how much I cried.

This is of course also an emotional choice to make as our Daughter has settled in at the Private School we sent her to. However, she is so sensible and knows that this is the very best school for her - and its a Grammar School. After 2 years I can finally say that our Daughter is going to Grammar School :)

I am by no means saying that how we did it and the choices we made were right - but they worked for us. I never thought I would get over it when we were unsuccesful at that first 11+ appeal. I remember Sally Anne and Etienne writing that 'there is life after the 11+'. It was very difficult to believe at the time but my goodness - all the tears, hard work and uncertainty has been worth it......

I am thrilled that our story has had a happy ending - a new story is about to commence as it is now my Son's turn to sit the 11+ in October. Oh deep joy!!!!

May I end this long post by expressing my deepest gratitude to Salle-Anne, Etienne and everyone else who has given us help and support over the past couple of years. You are truly all amazing!!!

A Very Happy Mum :)
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I am so, so pleased for you AVWM. That is such super news for the whole of your family, and for your daughter in particular. You all must be completely mentally exhausted after what you have been through.

Good luck and best wishes to you daughter as she starts at her new school after the holidays. Enjoy every minute of the uniform-buying etc!

EDIT: i hope it goes more smoothly for you and your son, but at least you know that you can get through such a negative situation and change the outcome.
Ambridge

Post by Ambridge »

Hi AVWM

What a lovely tale - congratulations to you all.

Masses of good luck for your daughter in September, I believe there is another regular Bucks poster who was also successful for exactly the same school as you for Yr 8 :lol:

We went through the same journey as you and ours ended last year with the same happy ending and then my DD took the 11+ in October and fortunately passed - all I can say is, let's hope your DS passes the easy way - life takes on a different meaning.

Regards

Ambridge
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear AVWM

What wonderful news! I'm so delighted things worked out for you in the end. :D

Thank you very much for letting us know, and many congratulations!
Etienne
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

AVWM,

Ah! I love happy endings. I can imagine all those days and evenings of anguish along the way.

Well done! AMAZING.

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
A Very worried Mum

Post by A Very worried Mum »

Thank you all SO much. Now I am crying again because of all your lovely words - a completely emotional wreck! ;)

Must go - doing 11+ papers with my Son - Argh!!!!

AVWM x
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Having been through almost the same journey myself (minus the Transfer Appeal), I know what you have endured AVWM. You have fought so hard for this, and I am sure that you have made the right move. I hope you DD will be extremely happy at the new school.

Thank you for your kind words. :D

Just in case people are in doubt about these 12+ kids and how they eventually fare at a GS, I should mention (perhaps even boast an incy-wincy bit) that my "11+ non-qualifier", DS1, scored a very high mark in his year in the Science exam this term - one of the highest marks in his year group of 180. For Maths he was in the top 20%, but English was middling. None of that is a surprise to me, but it does show how the 11+ cannot measure the ability of certain types of children.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Well done! So pleased your long journey has finally ended.

Can I also echo what Sally-Anne says about 12+ entrants?

As I teacher I know they settle quickly and do well.

My DC also took 12+ - doing very well and on G&T register. :D :D
patricia

Post by patricia »

Wonderful to see such a perfect ending.

Good Luck also to your son with his test in October. Not long to go!

Patricia