Explore Learning tuition centres ?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

stevew61

Explore Learning tuition centres ?

Post by stevew61 »

Does any one have any experience of these tuition centres ?

Explore Learning offer classroom ( inside a Supermarket store ) computer based training.

Having DIY'd the eleven plus this year with eldest child, I have decided to work on the KS1 and KS2 basics with the younger two, leaving the elevenplus option open for a decision at a latter date.

These centres offer a 'half way house' between DIY and one-to-one tuition. It seems to suit our current needs to build stronger KS1/KS2 skills.

Any opinions gratefully received.

stevew61
SJ

Post by SJ »

I know of various parents/pupils that have and still are using Explore Learning. They have found that it boosts the childrens confidence no end and that the basic skills are improved with a very positive attitude and the children enjoy going. However, the only thing that I wish it also helped with was actual handwriting, but the additional courses of creative writing are useful.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Check their qualifications - do the have recent teaching experience? Do they hold an enhanced police check?

Also - when they have done practice tests do they look at where your child went wrong to tailor the teaching?

Beware -

Post by Guest »

I used the Explore Learning Centre in Sainsbury's Beaconsfield for my son when he was in year 2 and 3 at school. As the previous poster said is helped his confidence and improved his core skills but I do not how good it is for 11+ preparation. Staff were encouraging, mainly young and energetic - mainly uni graduates I think.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

SJ, Guest55 and Guest,

Many thanks for your feedback, I agree with your observations.

My children are Year 2 and Reception, they are really enthusiastic about going to the 'computer club' as we call it. It has helped identify areas that need extra help at home and gives us the discipline of regular sessions out of the home environment without me having to push them.

My initial reservation was that I could and therefore should do it all myself at home, but now I feel happy to follow up at home on weak areas.

Happy new year to everybody.

Hope everybody gets the result they have strived for come 1st March, including my Year 6 boy.

stevew61
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now