CAR WASHING

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mog

CAR WASHING

Post by mog »

Hi. My 12 year old DD wants to earn some money. I have suggested car washing. She is going to leaflet some nearby neighbours. What do you think the going rate for this job would be? I thought £3. Would anyone pay that?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

yes, I would, providing she did it better than the boys who used to do mine!
mog

Post by mog »

what would you expect? A good wash and then the car to be dried off with a chamois leather? The wheels cleaned etc?
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I'm no expert about this - as my car would testify!! I would probably hope that my car would be very clean, including wheels, but not necessarily dry. But that is because I never would dry mine. I would happily pay £3 if I had it.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

a good wash, no muddy streaks on the windows, wheels clean.

Lights, number plate and side mirrors clean

a dry with a chamois leather would be a bonus
mog

Post by mog »

Many thanks. Once she has drawn up her leaflet and posted it, we shall see if anyone takes her up on her offer. She needs credit on her phone!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I would check what the local mechanical carwash costs, and also think about options - a SMART car is a bit different to a Range Rover!

Most hand car washes have different prices for extra large vehicles, and also charge more for extra levels of service.

I think that you will find that people will pay a touch extra simply because she is young and doing something for herself, and also saving them the trouble of driving to the carwash.

Tell her to be careful on wheel washing though - too much water and the brake discs might not work! A careful wash down, and no more.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I didn't know that S-A! Good job I've only hand-washed my car twice since last August... (are you sure you are Sally-Anne and not Steven-Andrew? Far too knowledgeable about cars if you ask me).
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

A wheel brush is quite cheap and stops you getting too messy -

I would make sure she knows how to work down the car from the top - otherwise dirt can scratch metallic finishes.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now