things to look for in grammar schools

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
panicattack!

things to look for in grammar schools

Post by panicattack! »

Hi
I just wondered if anyone could give me ideas of things to particularly look for and questions to ask when doing the rounds of grammar schools again in September.

I went last year when DS was in year 5 and got an overview of where I really liked and where I didn't (so did he and luckily they marched up!) but this September I really want to try and ask pertinent questions... in some ways asking about GCSEs and number of courses and where they go on to is relevant but just a few years too far in the future. So can anyone help?

I think the layout of the school, the choice of subjects, the class sizes, the way the children are behaving and extra curricular are good ones but would feel a ninny asking the head of English - how will you get my boy to read for example which may be relevant to me but?!! :oops: :?
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=7611

This should help you. In fact, you posted just underneath it!!
panicattack!

Post by panicattack! »

Thanks Ed's mum. I don't recall seeing this or posting a reply so I have printed out the questions so I can have them to hand!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Do go rond on a 'normal' school day as well. If they refuse you must conclude they have something to hide.
zee

Post by zee »

Guest55 wrote:Do go rond on a 'normal' school day as well. If they refuse you must conclude they have something to hide.
Or it may be that they're so popular anyway that they don't need the inconvenience of visitors on normal school days to fill the school with able pupils?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I disagree Zee - no school should refuse - as a teacher I am used to regular visitors to the school - I am delighted to speak to them.
zee

Post by zee »

Guest55 wrote:I disagree Zee - no school should refuse
I agree that they should let people visit on normal days, but I was just saying for those that don't (or at least do their best to put people off such visits), the reason isn't necessarily that they "have something to hide".
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

In my experience these 'popular' schools sometimes live on 'past glories' rather than current strengths ... that's why I would be very suspicious.
katel

Post by katel »

Ask about extra-curricular activities, and about the non-academic subjects too. We looked at one very good and popular grammar school that we had always thought dd would go to and discovered that it wouldn't have suited her at all because all the arty/crafty/techy/music/drama/dancey subjects she loves were treated as a rather embarrassing bolt on to the serious academic curriculum. The schools she's at now takes them as seriously as maths and english. Not important for everyone, of course - but my point is you have to imagine your individual child in that school. All grammar schools do well at the core subjects - you need to look 'round the edges"!
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

Quite agree with Katel, imagine your child in the school.
Also do go round school on a normal day. Not many parents bother for secondary school. It's really interesting and you can ask questions applicable only to your child. If a school doesn't want to show you around at all, I would say they are not interested in you or your child. Who wants to send their child to a school like that? Some grammars definitely think you should be very grateful they have offered you a place. We didn't send DD1 to a school where we'd made an appointment, taken time off work and the head was too busy!
Our children are at different schools - only one moans!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now