Maximum mark for Tiffin Girls and Boys?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mynameisbond

Maximum mark for Tiffin Girls and Boys?

Post by mynameisbond »

I've seen a lot of correspondence on this site referring to say a score of "224" but what is the total possible score for the girls' and boys' schools? While of course it will vary from year to year, what sort of overall percentage do children require to secure a place? Any guidance appreciated!!
Shaftsbury1

Post by Shaftsbury1 »

hello i'm new here .my ds will be taking the tiffin too.i have no idea what the score means either! But i have heard that tiffin passmark is above 95% and sutton is around 90%. :shock:
2outof3

Post by 2outof3 »

The maximum score in the Tiffins exam is 280 (140 maximum for each test).

It really is impossible to know for certain what that equates to for a raw score (i.e the percentage that the children actually get in the test) as the mark you receive is the standardised score. The raw scores are standardised so that the pass mark for Tiffin Boys is usually around 224 where as for girls it will be 232/233. If the children that sit a test in one particular year all score very highly, then your individual child will have to score more highly than previous years to get in. The same is true in reverse.

The famous Mrs W (a well known tutor in these parts) always says your child should be aiming for a raw score of 84%.

Hope that helps
mynameisbond

Post by mynameisbond »

Many thanks 2outof3 for your very useful info re this
Isa

Practice test scores vs exam scores

Post by Isa »

I'm 'tutoring' DD on my own, so would welcome some feedback on practice test scores. She normally scores between 90% and 95% on the practice material and is July born. Do we need to put in a big effort to step this up toward 100%? What sort of practice scores do tutors normally aim for?
SunlampVexesEel

Re: Practice test scores vs exam scores

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

Isa wrote:...on practice test scores....
Which practice tests?
Animis opibusque parati
Isa

Practice test scores

Post by Isa »

Eleven Plus practice material off the ********** website with VR and NVR short and long tests both written and online.
fatmum

Post by fatmum »

child should be aiming for a raw score of 84%.

What does this raw score mean? Is it in one of the practice tests?

Would parents of current Tiffin boys mind sharing the scores their sons were getting in practice papers (particularly the ones commonly available in books for specific ages), to give an idea what we should be aiming for now.

Thanks
Fatmum
mynameisbond

Post by mynameisbond »

Thank you very much for all your useful replies. Please could any Tiffin Girls parents also please let us know the results their daughters were scoring in practice papers at this stage (or even just before the test). It would be extremely useful.
boltew

Post by boltew »

The last sets of papers that we worked through prior to the test last December were the Walsh papers (I believe these are regarded as being the hardest). My son achieved anything between 75% and 94% on these papers. He spent a year working through practice papers and never really achieved anything higher than 94%. Usually, his marks were in the high eighties.
He was offered a place at Tiffin. On being told that he was a clever sausage, his response was 'Not really - I'm just a very good guesser!'.
He said that some of the questions were very hard. (the VR paper).
I believe what worked for him was his ability to work through the papers very quickly and then having the time at the end to check his answers.
(Something he didn't do very often with practice papers but in the exam there was no TV or computer game to move on to after completing the paper so he checked his answers).
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now