So after all the stress and worry (self inflicated lol)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
3pink

So after all the stress and worry (self inflicated lol)

Post by 3pink »

Up in the Wirral I discover that DH may be offered a role in Warwick which would mean living in Stratford upon Avon I think.

Soooo would we be competing against many more people in the Warwickshire area for grammar school places, is it harder to pass and which state schools good enough to get them through ?

Plan B being to go private in which case which is the best value for money, nicest atmosphere ?

TIA
KenR

Post by KenR »

Any reason why a job in Warwick makes Stratford-on-Avon the natural choice for housing location? Stratford is very expensive and the commute to Warwick not that great.

There are lots of better value and more accessible locations, including Solihull, Kenilworth, Leamington, Wythall (Worcestershire), Banbury(Oxfordshire) and many really nice Warwickshire and Worcestershire Villages. We live in Wythall, but I actually use Warwick Parkway Station for travelling to London as it's only a 16minute drive.

I know lots of people who commute to Warwick from Solihull, Dorridge or Knowle and the schools are pretty good. Also living in this area means that you have access to the KE Grammars in Birmingham - lots of children go to these schools from the Solihull area.

In terms of independent schools you obviously have Warwick School (and Rugby School) but probably the best value for money are the KE Independent Schools in Edgbaston (KES for Boys and KEHS for Girls) however there is still a competitive exam to pass to get into these schools.
3pink

Post by 3pink »

He won't be working in just in Warwick particularly and we just like Stratford although it may be out of our price range now (kicks herself for selling the house just a few years ago grr).

I went to the Birmingham Grammar myself and there's no way my daughters are getting on the number 17 bus, so they are out.
I guess I would like to re create what we have up here in that we'd live quite close and the local kids would go to the grammars together, that might be unrealistic though I guess as you're looking at a wide net ??
KenR

Post by KenR »

I went to the Birmingham Grammar myself and there's no way my daughters are getting on the number 17 bus, so they are out.
There is actually an extensive Green Bus service to most B/Ham KE Grammars so I wouldn't necessarily totally dismiss the idea. See

http://www.thegreenbus.org
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I'm slightly baffled how the no. 17 would be relevant. Given where it starts from I can see why you wouldn't want to get on it but it wouldn't exactly be on your route to any grammar school I can think of.

There are also school bus services from Solihull to the Warwick grammars. Solihull is not cheap by any means, but it's fairly central for a good number of grammar and indie schools, and if by mischance you don't manage to get into any of them the local comps are far above average.

Mike
3pink

Post by 3pink »

I'm getting old but the 17 from what I remember went past Rose Hill and that's the one we used to jump on, through Handsworth and all it's sights.

Solihull is around the same price as Stratford from my research with none of the prettiness, plus my mother lives nearby, shudder.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

My husband used to commute to Warwick, and nearby places, whilst living near Rugby. There is a girl's AND a boy's GS there. Don't rule out the Eastern part of Warwickshire - there are some fantastic villages. Good luck with the potential move - I'm doing it myself!
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Solihull wouldn't be (wasn't) my personal choice either but since secondary school started to loom I've been kicking myself for my pig headedness in refusing to buy a house there when I could afford it - it's just such a safe bet in education terms.

Stratford's charms are lost on me, I'm afraid. Ugly town with too much traffic and too many tourists in the centre. If Solihull isn't for you then I recommend looking at Alcester and the villages eastwards from Alcester and Redditch and seeing where Johnson's school bus services (and there's another company which I can't remember) will take you.

Mike
3pink

Post by 3pink »

Ed's mum wrote:My husband used to commute to Warwick, and nearby places, whilst living near Rugby. There is a girl's AND a boy's GS there. Don't rule out the Eastern part of Warwickshire - there are some fantastic villages. Good luck with the potential move - I'm doing it myself!
I was hoping you'd come along for decorating advice if nothing else lol How's it all going ?
Am terrified that having got everything sussed here we'll move and something will ruin the eldest's chances I've seen it happen to so many :(

If you don't mind me asking where do you intend moving to ? Hubby is area based and works two days from home so there's plenty of flexibility, more important that the area is right for me and the girls tbh.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Dear 3pink: We shall move within Rugby most likely - certainly within the main catchment area for Rugby High School. We are limited to where we can relocate to for financial reasons!

There are some lovely parts of Rugby and super surrounding villages. If you need more detailed advice re Rugby I can help you. I lived there for many years and know the area well. There are parts to avoid too! Rugby has some excellent schools, not just Lawrence Sheriff and Rugby High School which are the GSs.

Not sure I'm the one to be giving decorating advice - I'm more of the labourer to my husband's role of master craftsman!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now