admission time other than september?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

qpootle5

admission time other than september?

Post by qpootle5 »

Does any one know if it is possible to apply to any london indys for entry at a different time to sept? or is there only ever 1 intake. i am particularly interested in the s. london schools. thanks
qpootle5
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

HI

You can always try - depends whether it is a school with a high demand and hence a waiting list or whether it has some spaces in the appropriate year . If it has got spaces they are often VERY keen to fill them - so get on the phone to the admissions person at the school and see what they say. Are you moving or just changing schools ? reckon they get used to people moving.
qpootle5

Post by qpootle5 »

Thanks for your help. we would be changing schools to go into yr6 or lower 1st I think its called in indy parlance, after a bit of an epiphany regarding our son's present situation.Im not sure whether this would be 'easier' to achieve but we will do as you say and cross our fingers.Thanks again.
qpootle5
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi

I know of a fair few people who have done this in some areas of the country - don't know about London though.

In one area small preps were struggling and parents wanting to be aead of the game in finding places elsewhere moved quickly and sent kids to year 5 / year 6 etc of schools (mainly the junior dept of indie seniors with their main intake at year 7),
In fact one school had a large selection day for all its junior years in January - some of these were for immediate admission (however I gather the class sizes are getting eye watering at this partic indie junior - not what parents expect I don't think).

The lower 1 (year 6 intake at mainly year 7 indie) tend to be small intakes at the schools I have seen, they expect the number to increase ++ in year 7. They tended to be kids who had outgrown their prep / primary or who were in a v small primary - or parents had moved - or in the case of Leicestershire kids from primaries who feed into middle schools at the end of year 5 and hence would have to do a year somewhere else first..
I think more kids tended to /sit out the year 6 wherever they were and join in the year 7 with lots of others instead of being a small very young bunch of kids in a big school.

Don't know your situation - are you concerned re the school he is at or the options for him getting a place in year 7? If the school is really dire then how about home schooling / tutoring and taking the entrance for year 7???
KenR

Post by KenR »

This usually depends whether or not this is due to exceptional circumstances such a relocation or major illness. In these situations the independent schools are often able to arrange a transfer to an academically comparative school based on the school reports and the Head recommendations.

I am certainly aware of transfers from top London Independent Schools into schools in the West Midlands area (including KES & KEHS) so I assume it must work the other way.
londonmum

Post by londonmum »

With a boy, I would consider one of the mixed prep schools which end at 13. They thin out considerably once girls and some boys leave at 11. This leaves small classes and a willingness to take new students. Towards the start of Year 6 is ideal as this is when the Common Entrance sylabus (Sp?) starts. It also then gives you some time for the child to settle before trying senior school. The prep schools have good links with Senior schools so will be able to help if your senior school applicaiton is late.

My guess is that if you phoned round now you might find a place for September.

Many of the 11+ schools have "occasional places". you need to register and they usually require an exam. There is real competition for some of the more popular schools.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now