anyone else in north yorkshire ?this is so stupid but

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

anyone else in north yorkshire ?this is so stupid but

Post by Guest »

we got our results yesterday and DS acheived the cut-off mark!
All his friends passed too ,in fact habven't heard of anyone failed yet,so the irrational worry monster is now thinking maybe there was a computer glitch and everyone got a pass letter.Please somebody put my mind at rest and tell me they know someone who didn't make the cut-off.
(I was like this the first time I was pregnant I had to do about 5 tests before I believed it !)
flapjack

cut off mark

Post by flapjack »

Don't live in Your area so probably should not be commenting but for our 11+ there are a large number of children who reach the cut off mark (ie the annually set pass mark) who do not get into grammar schools (mainly those from outside set catchment areas). If your area sets a cut off (pass mark) annually then the situation may be the same. For the sake of simplicity and figures just for example, the cut off or pass mark may be set at 100. A child could score 110. If the grammar school has 100 places to offer and 300 children score above the cut off mark, then places are going to go to the highest 100 in rank order, so you may be in a situation where your child has "passed" well with 106 but there are 100 or more children above 106.

I guess you knew this already but I have suffered this problem myself and it is a pain. Trouble is, you will have to wait until March to find out whether your child has scored high enough for a place.

I wish you the very best of luck and contratulations to your child.

Post by Guest »

Thanks for your reply to my post
It is different In our area the cutoff is set at the level where the top 28% of children at feeder primaries pass .This will be about 65 children this year.There are 120 places at the school.Children in the catchment who have put it as first preference get first priority (after looked after children and all thayt stuff)
So although there will be some local children at private school it would be very very unlikely 9and has never happened historically)that a child who lives in the catchment and puts it as first preference would not get in.

Post by Guest »

Hi, :lol:
I think you're son took the same test as the Skipton area did.

My daughter got her result yesterday, she achieved cut off, but we are out of the catchment area in east lancs.
One of her friends passed, but quite a few didn't, about 7 I think.
As for boys applying for Ermysteds 1 passed and 1 didn't as far as I know.
I don't think there was a computer blip :oops:
You're area for Ripon must be very clever!

Fingers crossed for our kids for 1st March 06

Footymad.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now