Altrincham Grammar pass mark for 2009

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

scooby1

Altrincham Grammar pass mark for 2009

Post by scooby1 »

Hi would be grateful if someone could guide me. My son lives outside the catchment area nad in his practice papers he is getting high 70/low80% but in his non verbal he is struggling with a low 60% When the exams are marked is it the overall score that is looked at or indivodual scores.

Also is anybode aware of the pass mark for out of area children this year.

Thanks
ConcernedMum

Post by ConcernedMum »

The standardised out of area pass mark was, I'm pretty sure, 350 - but I don't know what that equates to in terms of scores. Good luck to your son! Only the total counts, not individual scores - for the record, my son passed despite being very weak on NVR and I asked the school whether they were concerned that he'd struggle - they felt the fact that his maths and English were very strong was more of an indicator of how he'd do.
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

That's right that the 350 is an aggregate of the three exams so you could have a 100 in the NVR and still get 350 overall with 125 in each of VR and Maths. Or 90 in the VR and 130 in each of the others. Lots of wiggle room ;)

Obviously the out of catchment threshold changes each year but I'm sure you know that already.
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

I am having the same issue with NVR. Though my son did reasonably well with the Bond Books he is only getting 50-65% on the NFER papers which (imo) are much more difficult. He is ok with all the other subjects.

I have bought the stage 2 NVR CD from this site and I am hoping this will help.

Good luck! Must admit I will be glad when its all over. We have had a few tears and tantrums lately, which makes me wonder whether it is all worth it. :roll:
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

I don't think you should necessarily get that hung up on the NVR. The papers are really tough (more than the VR and Maths in my opinion) and just because he is only getting relatively low marks doesn't mean everyone else is getting full marks.

FWIW, and I know this isn't a statistical sample, my second daughter always got 140 in her school NFER NVR tests and about 75% when I did the papers with her. She didn't finish any of the sections in the AGGS or Sale NVR exams (although she did make educated guesses) and she got 140 and 138 respectively.

My elder daughter was always around the 130 mark at school and the 65% mark at home and she got 125 and 131 in the two exams. She also didn't finish any of the sections andhad to rely on guessing :shock:
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Hi Trafford mum

Thanks for the encouraging words! :D Its hard to gauge where everyone else is at and I thought it was just us that were struggling! NVR is not my son's forte, though he does better in English Maths and VR.

Anyway will keep on with the papers :roll: Its a hard slog though.

Only 4/5 weeks to go, will be so glad when its all over.

TM
Gatley

Panic before the big one

Post by Gatley »

:shock: Alty boys tomorrow ! Anyone else panicking?
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

I am apprehensive because it is the first one, but my son is fine and so that is ok!

Good luck to everyone taking the exam tomorrow, let us know how you get on.
ConcernedMum

Post by ConcernedMum »

best of luck to everyone taking the exam tomorrow!
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Phew! Glad thats over.

Couldn't believe the crowd. I heard over nine hundred today and two hundred taking exam Monday.

Hope it went well for all- my son said difficult but at least came out smiling, with relief I think.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now