References from Primary School

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now

References from Primary School

Post by Guest »

Do we have any right to see the references that primary schools submit on request to secondary schools? I had a row with the head teacher a couple of weeks before the reference was written and I suspect that this may have affected it. The primary school is an independent and the school we have applied to is a top comprehensive school in another borough. Part of it's selection criteria is the "support shown to the primary school by the parents".
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Not sure whether you have the right to see the reference -
HOWEVER if the primary is independent and gets any kudos from sending kids to school X or wherever then they will not aim to get in the way of kids going there.

Post by Guest »

Thanks. Unfortunately the individual concerned is so spiteful, I think he will do anything to get in the way of our application...
tejal

Post by tejal »

You should make every effort to work with your child's teacher or headmaster. Going to the school to have a row with the headmaster is not appropriate.

Doubt if he will write a bad report for your child though as this is not allowed by law.

Post by Guest »

Sorry Tejal, you should know what you are talking about before you criticize. I do not subscibe to the point of view that I should doff my cap to the Head Teacher as if he is some sort of god!
I complained about an incompetent teacher - he is quite open about the fact that he can't be bothered to teach properly and covers up the fact to the head teacher - other parents agree but are scared to speak up. For example he pretended he has taught certain subjects in maths etc which he hasn't. I think the head master would like my daughter to go to the local failing comp - a school on special measures, if she fails to get into the good one, to punish me. There is no law that I know of (I have a law degree) that prevents a teacher writing a bad reference. I just wondered if anyone had been in this situation and whether they were given access.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I suppose it will depend how much of the application to the school you want is dependent on the reference and how much on other factors eg preference / geography / etc etc -

FWIW when I moved DD to a different independent primary last year when we moved house I don't think they ever sought a reference from her first school despite saying they do in the admissions info.

If you can give an indication of the area in which the comprehensive is then maybe some people who read the messages here will be able to advise about the applications and how important the reference is.
Hope you get the school you want

Post by Guest »

Thanks it is in the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham - I will contact the council direct.
tejal

Post by tejal »

Dear Guest,

Was not critising, apologies if you feel offended.

Schools are not allowed to write bad references as it is with employment references.

What tends to happen in cases like this is that the school will fail to highlight the positive side of your child. For example, using words like "good" instead of "brilliant".

I am a practicing barrister and i do know the law.

Good Luck with the council.
tejal

Post by tejal »

Dear Guest,

The 1998 Data Protection Act which came into force in 2000 -- gives "individuals the right to have a copy of the information that an organisation holds about them"

The argument - Are schools classified as organisations?

My advice to you is that you should be careful not to be too forceful in your request, as you do not want to burn any bridges.